Request for description of "Insync Folder"

Hello,

Insync on MacOS 10.10.x, a single Google account.

What exactly is the “Insync Folder”?

My home directory (~) contains a folder named “Google Drive” which I believe is the default location that the GD desktop app uses for the local mirror of the Cloud drive. Yes? No surprise there.

I recently noticed another folder in my home directory that’s named with my full gmail account (i.e. @gmail.com). Its content is almost identical to what is in ~/Google Drive. Except: sizes are slightly different and the sync status marks on each file/folder actually seem to work, unlike those in ~/Google Drive, which currently don’t. (Known issue for GD and 10.10.x, I think.)

The folder icon is decorated with the insync logo. Is this the “Insync Folder”? If so… I don’t get why there’s a second mirror. I checked a sample file at the root: the inode numbers are different so it appears there are definitely two distinct copies of this file on my HD. Why?

Sorry if I’m missing something incredibly obvious!

TIA

@Henry The Insync folder is the folder where all your sync files can be found. The default name of this folder is ~/xxxx@gmail.com but you may change it according to your preference using the Insync app.

https://forums.insynchq.com/t/how-to-rename-my-insync-folder/25

Insync will not allow you to sync to your existing GDrive folder yet. It will be available in version 1.4 or earlier.

Since you are now using Insync, we suggest that you will not run Insync alongside with the native Google Drive app to avoid any syncing issues. You have an option to delete your old Google Drive folder to save some HD space.

For more issues or concerns, send us a ping on support@insynchq.com