Restored PC with unnecessary sync and high hard drive usage

I just restored my Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10, so that the system and all software reset to factory setup but preserved all of my personal files. I reinstalled Insync without any issues, and connected it to 2 Google Drive accounts using the same sync folders on the tablet. There was a third account before my restore, but I opted not to reconnect it.

Despite that all my previously synced files remained intact and there were no new files added to the Google Drive accounts from the cloud or other devices, Insync has been (supposedly) continuously synchronizing files already on the tablet. I maybe 68 GB (48k files) and 4GB (3k files) in the two accounts. Insync says that it has about 52k files (pretty lcose to my total files) remaining to sync and hasn’t dropped after a long sync period.

Sometimes, Insync causes my system resources to spike, particularly the hard drive ramping up to 98%-100% usage. I ended up pausing sync for awhile because I was concerned about long-term effects of running full bore for hours and hours which dropped hard drive usage to around 4%. I just resumed sync and it seems more normal (30ish% with other system apps running).

Does anyone know

1. Why Insync is unnecessarily synchronizing in the first place?
  2. Why my remaining files have not gone down?
  3. Why might Insync be running my hard drive use so high?

Hi! Insync may just be scanning your files and comparing and matching them with your files already in the cloud to check if there are files that need to be synced. Please check the local Insync folder and drive.google.com to make sure there are no duplications.

Tagging our engineer @dipesh for the other questions

Hello @Shawn_J,

As mentioned by @gio, Insync has to scan your local folders and your Google Drive web first before it realises that the files are the same. It prioritises scanning and establishing the file hierarchy over files’ transfer and matching.

Please note that pausing-resuming or restarting Insync would make it scan the local folders again (to look for any changes that were done while Insync was paused/not running), so, it is better if you let Insync run continuously.

We will work on improving the algorithm to make it faster and to avoid hogging of resources.

Thanks

“We will work on improving the algorithm to make it faster and to avoid hogging of resources.”
That would be nice. The resource hogging issue is 2 years old now, so ‘we will’ should really be “we have been” if all previous Insync promises are to be believed.