Silly workaround for missing GNOME tray icon

For people who, like me, are having trouble with insync running but not showing anywhere on GNOME’s top bar (despite all the hacks with extensions etc.), here goes a tip that might make your life a little bit easier: try assigning “insync show” to a keyboard combination. I just assigned it to ALT+I, and even though I miss being able to quickly glance at the tray icon to see what is insync’s status, at least now I have a quick way to interact with it and, in my experience, it makes a difference (YMMV).

Hope it helps.

3 Likes

OK, that’s awesome. Thank you. Been having lots of these issues. I actually prefer “insync show” over a persistently resident applet tray icon. Although I have one problem: I get a window notification that insync.py is ready that is drawn over the pop-down window (guess I’ll disable notifications for insync). I wish they had a tear-off window, though, or something like a “main window”. This non-resizable drop-down menu is pretty weak. EDIT: the “pop-down” menu actually appears wherever I put my mouse, so as long as I rest my mouse on the bottom of the screen, the notification isn’t a problem. Thanks again for the nice tip.

You’re welcome! Glad it helped, thks for the feedback :smile:

(and, yes, the notification for insync.py is annoying :unamused:)

Awesome job, @Costa! Rest assured, we’re looking to fix these issues with our upcoming releases. :slight_smile: