Sync down documents folder in Google to MyDocuments locally

Hello,

I have multiple machines and I would like to have one documents folder in Google Drive that is a two-way sync using the local “My Documents” folder on two computers.

If I select the My Documents folder locally on each system and tell it to sync up to the cloud and their is already a My Documents folder there, it won’t start using it. It will create a duplicate. Two machines will create two duplicates for three folders total. On initial setup I would like it to use the folder that is already on Google Drive, sync down all files locally, sync up any files that I have local that are not in that folder on Google Drive and give me the choice on which file to keep or rename if there is a conflict. Then it can do standard two way sync after that . This would allow me to keep using the local My Documents, & Pictures, and Video folders on multiple computers and keep them all in sync.

If I try it from reverse side and select the “My Documents” folder in Google Drive, and have it sync down to each computer, it will not let me put the contents of My Documents in Google Drive into each computers “My Documents” folder. Instead, it only lets me select a base folder on each computer and it will put the “My Documents” folder under a long path - something like: basefolder/Insync/MyEmailAddress/Google Drive/My Documents

I don’t want to use a long path like the above. On each of my computers, I want to use the “/user/My Documents” folder to store the contents of the “My Documents” folder in Google drive and keep them in sync. Most apps are configured to use those specific local folder names and I don’t want to go reconfigure all the apps to use the “My Documents” folder under basefolder/Insync/MyEmailAddress/Google Drive/

Please let me know if there is some way to do the above that I just haven’t figured out yet or if it is coming up as a new feature in a future release.

Hello!

Upon setup, you can choose the default folder that Insync suggests :slight_smile: Skip any sync that you don’t need to do. From there, you can hover on the Documents folder on Google Drive and click “2-way sync”. It will ask you to choose from 3 options:

1. Base folder
  2. Merge with a folder or drive
  3. Inside folder or drive.

Select the second - merge - so that the cloud contents sync down to the local My Documents folder accordingly. Any file present in the cloud will match with whatever’s already in the local folder (and vice versa) so that no duplicates or deletions happen.

Thank you. The merge option solved the issue. With that, the product does what I need, so I just purchased it.

Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for your trust and support, @Mike_Kirgan! We appreciate it so much.