Sync is dead slow

I have been using Google Drive and never had any sync issue on my Windows and Mac computer. Today, I installed insync and it’s syncing files for many hours and it says still 15K files left. Guess, will take few days to complete sync. I switch computers very often so for me it’s very important to sync files in real time.

What should I do to improve sync performance?

1 Like

@moazam We are aware of this slow sync issue during the initial sync, but after the initial sync the succeeding syncing process is noticeably faster.

We are now working on a fix on this issue.

Thank you for your patience. :smile:

Thanks @roald I hope you will release a fix soon.

Just want to chime in here. I store a lot of files on my Google Drive (over 300,000) and this speed issue is serious. I am not sure it will ever actually fully sync. It seems to only do 1 file every few seconds.

Hope the initial sync can be massively sped up.

1 Like

@Steve_Dowe Yes, it will eventually sync in time. :slight_smile: Please let Insync run continuously.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

@moazam I’m also looking forward on the fix on this. :smile:

Hey @roald - I do let it run constantly - 24/7.

My actual file count is 311,401 right now. Insync is great for my needs, but I’m still concerned this won’t ever sync. I have just timed 2 files - only 19kb each, and they took 9.5 seconds. A few files appear in the queue, get synced and so on. But each time it takes about 10 seconds to deal with 2 or 3 small files.

I’ll let you know in a few days what my sync count is… :baby::older_man:

:wink:

@Steve_Dowe Thank you for your patience :smile:

Yesterday I started moving some of my code repositories into Drive. Now I’m waiting and waiting… Isn’t it possible to increase the number of uploads at a time? Having only 2 uploads at a time consuming less then 30kb is pure waste of time. Bigger files transfer well, but when transmitting small files it should use many more connections.

@watching_cat My sync is still not finished. Now only 150K files left :smile:

@moazam I’m having 22k of 56k left…

My promised update since 3 days ago…

Files to sync is now 287,396. That’s an average of 8000 files per day, roughly. With my remaining number of files to sync, this will take another 36 days to sync my (currently) 200+GB of data from Drive to my machine. Another whole month?!

Increasing the concurrency from 2 to 8 files would help a lot! So much time is wasted in queuing the files internally, it seems.

This feature should be in software from Day 1. Not sure why they don’t make this change?

@roald It’s 22th day but my files are still not synced. May be you less files in your drive but we do have plenty. Please make this change :slight_smile:

I purchased this software to sync files with my Mac but I haven’t made any use of this software so far.

Guess what? Only 75,000 files to go! … :older_man:

Good luck @Steve_Dowe

I had to uninstall software because I misunderstood it’s functionality.

Good luck!

1 Like

Why has this not been implemented yet?
I regularly move large project files (10k worth of files) across for an initial sync and go through on a recurring basis!
It is just as well i am only doing 1 project at a time otherwise I wouldn’t be able to keep anything else in sync at the end of the 5-7 day period required to sync the project!
Far from an ideal situation! and frankly pretty bloody rude for a purchased software

2 Likes

300,000 files is pretty extreme. Google Drive sure slows down a lot too on that amount.

No… It’s a normal use case for most users…
Here’s my story…
I am a new user and this thread make me cry… :frowning:

2 Likes

Have you found any alternative solution?
Mind sharing? Thanks!

After 8 hours, 8000 files synced:

I don’t think it’s that difficult to add additional threads to upload.
Can we have like 100 concurrent threads?
Or let users decide how many threads via a simple option in setting?

1 Like

@terakin @jaduenas :slight_smile: Please kindly check this thread.

Edit:
Another question: can I use the web client to upload my files from insync folder (upload to same folder on web)? Would insync be smart enough to know that these are the same files and skip these files? It would be really pain to wait for weeks just for 15 gb of files.