Sync local to local?

Hello!

Insync has a powerful engine for syncing between cloud and local paths.

However I have not found a documented way to sync from a local base folder and a local network drive or local external drive (no cloud account).

Also tried various options in the Windows app but no luck (at least with my license). Is it possible currently or should I open a new feature request for a bonus functionality?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @koenigworks9 :slight_smile:

We don’t have this feature yet but I’d love to get some of your input about this. Can you let me know what the objective is that you want to achieve with this? :slight_smile:

I’ll wait for your response! We learn and become better with users like you.

We appreciate this very much and I hope you have a nice day. :blush:

Sure, my request should be better titled “Sync local to local (including local drives)

From my point of view, Insync could benefit of much (much) more customers if took advantage of it’s powerful engine for a more generic syncing purpose, while it appears to me that the the 2nd usage is more powerful:

1.- Traditional legacy sync: not all files can be uploaded to a cloud drive (for privacy reasons) and not all of us would pay for the largest cloud drives (large contents won’t fit in). So I’d like to use insync for the typical local backup/sync scenario at home for those files non-cloud. It consist on replicating files from a local base folder to another local path such as a USB drive (whether a plugable 128GB flash or a big 4 TB drive), a network drive (SMB share by the typical WiFi router) or simply another local folder or path (like these are my important files, I’d like to have a second copy just in case).

2.- Sync to potentially unlimited cloud providers: currently insync only supports API of Google Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox. However many cloud storage providers simply provide a virtual drive where you can see your files and place them there (think on the lifetime pCloud, ElephantDrive, Yandex, or whatever might come). It consists on replicating a local base folder into that particular drive (like P: for pCloud), so the potential of insync really gets unlimited powers.

Currently insync has a strong advanced position on it’s filtering and selective syncing (and the UI as well), however is on disadvantage position regarding base generic syncing functionality compared to other traditional softwares (click here and see the comparison):

In my honest opinion, in order to have only one replication tool to deal with, I’d rather choose one of those basic opensource tools for replication (some support cloud already), arranging my files selectively, rather than having purchase a private tool for the cloud-only part (notice that I’m already one of your customers).

Please count with me for any clarification.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, @koenigworks9!! :slight_smile: I truly appreciate users who take the time to share their thoughts with us.

I’ll forward this to our team, and I’ll respond here if we have further clarifications. Have a fantastic week ahead!