Syncing different folders

Hi
I have just purchased and am trying to understand the system. I have already uploaded all folders to gdrive and now want to keep both systems in sync with each other. I will need two-way sync as I use multiple computers. On all computers I have a Nextcloud folder which contains documents etc and two other folders Photos and Videos.

I know I need to select selective sync but will it recognise folders and files already on the system and can I use two-way sync and selective sync please? Also I use a separate drive on the computers and keep the boot drive for the operating system only.

Thanks for the help.

Rich

Hi @gucurich!

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Insync will be able to file-match the contents from the cloud with the ones on the local folders (and vice versa - so 2-way sync applies). Please make sure that your Base Folder is the correct one that Insync is using. Here’s how to check: https://help.insynchq.com/en/articles/2987441-how-to-check-or-move-your-insync-base-folder

2. You can use a separate drive to sync your files: https://help.insynchq.com/en/articles/6204422-sync-to-and-from-your-peripherals

Thank you!

Hi Mia

(My daughters called Mia - a special name!)

I seem to have done something wrong and I am confused! I set up the two way sync but it is syncing everything to a new folder which is frustrating. Can I delete the current sync and set up a new one please? Will it delete files if I delete the current sync?

Basically I asked it to sync everything in the Nextcloud folder and what it has done is to recreate the Nextcloud folder in Google drive and sync with that. My current folder set up is:
Nextcloud - This folder contains - accounts, etc and many other folders
Photos
Videos
What insync has done is to recreate the Nextcloud folder in Nextcloud and sync everything there. Oh well. I’ll wait for a reply and reset the sync up again.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi! (And hello to your beautiful daughter!)

You can absolutely redo the sync by removing the account first: https://help.insynchq.com/en/articles/2967096-removing-your-account

Then, delete the new folder where the files were syncing. By removing the account first then deleting the new folder, you won’t risk removing any files from the cloud :slight_smile: Afterwards, you can set up your account afresh.

By the way, did you want only those specific folders to be synced to Google Drive? If so, the instructions are gonna be a bit different and I’d be happy to walk you through it. :slight_smile:

Hi Mia

That was very helpful and I have done that. I am now about to set up the two way sync process. But firstly should the base folder be the same as the one that you are syncing with. To make things easy I am now going to sync everything on the drive with the Google Drive. So I don’t need to sync specific folders anymore.

Thanks

Rich

1 Like

@gucurich Hi Rich,

The base folder should be the folder directory where you want to sync it to and from. Does that answer your question? If not, feel free to expound and redirect me, in case I misunderstood your question :slight_smile:

1 Like

All perfect and set up and running. Thank you for taking the time out to support. Enjoy the rest of the day.

Rich

1 Like

You are most welcome, @gucurich! :slight_smile: Have a great rest of your week.

1 Like