Syncing for <symbolic linked folder> is paused because it went missing

Recently, I added a sub-folder to an existing folder that has been syncing via Insync for a few years. The added sub-folder is actually a symbolic link. We keep getting this error message:

"Syncing for <symbolic linked folder> is paused because it went missing"

I’ve verified that the subfolder is actually there and fully functional.

I keep opening Insync, going to the “Actions Required” and choosing “Resume Syncing”. But the error message always returns. The error always returns within a few hours, it always returns after a reboot, and it always returns after exiting Insync and restarting, and the error always returns after pausing Insync and resuming.

FYI, we’re still using Insync v1.3.24.36188 on Windows 10 Pro x64. We’ve been reluctant to upgrade because of all the problems we’ve observed other users having with subsequent versions.

Please, how do we fix this problem?

Bumping for Insync tech support.

Is there a particular reason you haven’t upgraded to 1.5.7? V1.x is no longer actively developed but 1.5.7 was always rock solid for most people. Insync 1.5.7 builds

The only reason I’ve not upgraded is because Insync itself seemed to stop offering automatic upgrades. And, I didn’t want to take a chance to picking an unstable version.

If you recommend v1.5.7 as rock-solid, I’ll happily upgrade.

Can I simply install v1.5.7 over the top of my v1.3.24.36188? Should I exit or pause Insync before installing v1.5.7?

I’ve been using 1.5.7 on several windows 10 pro machines without any noticeable issues since it’s release in April 2019. From what I gather on this forum, it’s the most stable release available. I would not recommend upgrading to v3 yet.

As far as updating, it’s been a while so I’m not exactly sure but typically I would just run the installer while currently installed insync was running. The installer handled the rest. In your case you’re skipping major version 1.4 so I’m not sure if directly to 1.5.7 is the appropriate path. Perhaps @mia can confirm?

1 Like

Thanks, Kyle!

@mia, please advise:

1. What is the proper upgrade path for me? Upgrade from v1.3.24.36188 directly to v1.5.7? Or, from v1.3.24.36188 to some version of 1.4, then to v1.5.7? If so, which version of 1.4?

2. And, for each upgrade, do I leave the existing version of Insync running?

Thank you for the initial input, @kyle! :slight_smile:

We didn’t deploy auto-updates from 1.3/1.4 to 1.5. This is due to the bigger changes in the UI-- we didn’t want to startle our users but instead give them a chance to go over our 1.5 UI guide before doing an update. :slight_smile:

@Jeff_S-- to answer your questions:

1. You can jump from 1.3 to 1.5.7 :slight_smile:
  2. You need to quit your current Insync, then run the latest build.:slight_smile:

@mia, I upgraded using your instructions. Insync seems to have upgraded nicely to the new version, and preserved all my accounts and settings.

However, my original problem (first post in this thread) has not been fixed. How do we proceed in fixing my problem?

Hi @Jeff_S,

To sync the symbolic link, can you please choose this folder via Local Selective Sync? Let me know how it goes.

I’ve added a non-symbolic link folder, and a document through the Windows Explorer Insync context menu: “Add to Insync”. Both this new folder and the document are causing the same error.

Initially, no problem. But, after my computer reboots, this error (Syncing for is paused because it went missing" is triggered. BTW, when I tell Insync to try syncing these items again, it appears to work. Until the computer again reboots over-night. Then, we go through it all again.

@mia, how do we proceed and fix this problem?

@Jeff_S we might need to troubleshoot this further by checking your logs. Do you mind sending them to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post?

@mia, I just sent an email according to your instructions.

@mia,

In addition to the original error I reported at the top of this thread, I’m also noticing multiple new errors:

Syncing for <XXXXX> is paused because it went missing

Where XXXXX is both files and folders that are not symbolic links. These new errors have occurred after I upgraded to 1.5.7. Now, it seems that whenever I add a new file, folder, or symbolic link to be synced, this error is being generated.

In all cases, if I manually tell Insync to try again, it works until the machine is rebooted and the errors appear again.

@mia, I’ve been emailing privately and I’m not hearing anything back about this. Please, pick up this problem again and get it solved!!