Syncing nested folder to custom location does not work

I have the folowing folder structure:

• Base folder
    • Pictures
      • Photos

I have my base folder synced to ~/GDrive.
I have my Pictures folder synced to ~/Pictures (outside the base folder!), with the Photos folder excluded (unsynced).
The above works.

I now want to sync the Photos folder (which is a subfolder of Pictures) to an external medium. InSync gives me the option to do this. However, when I pick “2-way sync” -> “merge”/“inside folder/drive” (either option exhibits the same behaviour) and I pick my external medium… it starts syncing inside ~/Pictures/Photos, ignoring my choice completely.

InSync 3.4.3 on Linux

Hey @RobinJ1995! :slight_smile:

Let me see if I got your setup right: you want to sync Photos to an external medium outside of ~/GDrive and ~/Pictures, correct?

By “excluded”, may I clarify if you mean it’s ignored (via Ignore Rules) or just selectively unsynced?

Yes, that is indeed what I want to do.
By “excluded” I mean it is currently selectively unsynced (not via ignore rules).

Looks like there’s a limitation to the custom syncing on Insync. I tested this and confirmed the behavior – it syncs to the location of ~/Pictures instead of the chosen path for ~/Photos. I’m clarifying this with our engineers and seeing if there is a workaround :slight_smile:

1 Like