System tray icon does not reflect the correct status of Insync

Since version 1.4.x, Insync sometimes doesn’t have the correct system tray icon.
As shown in the following screenshot, Insync is actually syncing, but the system tray icon shows the “synced” green check mark when it should be the blue & white circle.

This has already misled my shutdown script to shut down the computer too early before everything is synced a couple of times.

Insync 1.4.9.37127 on Windows 7 Pro x64

Hey @Hawk,

Apologies for the experience since I know how important your shutdown script is to your workflow. I’m tagging our engineer @Rajat to take a look at this. :slight_smile:

Hey @Hawk,

Can you email us your log files at support@insynchq.com? Our engineers are currently investigating the issue and this will help them. We’ll update you as soon as we find something! :slight_smile:

Logs sent in an email titled “log file for system tray icon issue and resync issue”.

This issue is difficult to reproduce. I still have no idea when it’d happen. In the logs, the issue appeared when Insync was “processing” files. But if memory serves, in the past, it also happened during active upload / download.

Received your email, @Hawk!

We’ll take note of what you said and update you accordingly. :slight_smile:

Hi. I actually have the same problem, but under Linux (64 bit SuSE Tumbleweed). When Insync is not doing anything (so basically everything is synced) instead of showing the green tickmark, the icon is basically greyed out. When syncing the blue shows up and every now and then (probably whilst checking if everything is still synced) the green check mark shows.

It syncs fine, but it looks really weird to see it greyed out as if it is totally dead.

Hi @rebel72,

I’ll bring this up with our Linux team for checking. Could you send your log files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post? :slight_smile: Thanks!

I have the exact same issue. The notification icon is greyed out all the time. If it’s syncing, the sync blue badge flashes, if there was an error, the red badge flashes inconsistently. Happening on Win10 and Linux too! (Manjaro KDE)

Hi @tonyrulez, what’s your Insync version? :slight_smile:

On Win10 it’s version 1.4.9, but I see there is an update (insync didn’t notify me) so I upgraded to version 1.5.1.37343 but the icon is still grey, not showing the blue sync badge nor the green check mark.

On Manjaro KDE, it’s version1.4.5.37069.

Could you update to 1.5.3 and let me know if the issue persists? Also tagging our engineer @Kurt_Ko for further assistance. :slight_smile:

Seems like it fixed the issue, thanks!

1 Like

@tonyrulez You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

Looks like it was early to call it fixed :slight_smile: On my desktop PC it fixed the issue, but on my laptop the icon is still greyed out. Exact version is 1.5.3.37354 running on Windows 10.

One reproducible case:

1. Pause Insync
  2. Add one file to Insync folder
  3. Resume sync

Insync will detect this added file after a short while and start uploading, but the tray icon will show the green “synced” checkmark instead of the blue “syncing” circle.

1 Like

And it returned to normal operation on my laptop too. Needed a day of usage for the icon to work properly, but it’s fixed now.

1 Like

@tonyrulez Glad it’s working now. :slight_smile: Just let me know in case it happens again.

And thanks as always @Hawk for the recommending a quick test. :slight_smile:

Okay, after using the update for over a month, the problem came up again. Tray icon stays grey all the time, sometimes the green mark flashes (or the sync sign when syncing). Using 1.5.5.37367.

Hi @tonyrulez,

Is this on the same desktop PC running on Win10?

Same here: Insync does not show the right Icons