Tons of duplicates

1.4 beta version number: 1.4.1
Operating system: OS X 10.13.2

Issue: I am getting tons of duplicate files.

• It may have to do with the fact that I am using gdrive to edit files sometimes (at work, on PC computer), and my macbook I edit in the word or powerpoint file. It seems like it is happening way more with the .gslides/powerpoiont. I lost a whole bunch of slides I worked on last night and it really messed me up today, so thinking about deactivating if I cannot figure out what’s going on.

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for reporting this, I do apologize for the delay in response. We’ve been going through a list of bugs and it does take time to test each case.

tagging our engineers for reference @marte @jimperio

@Ben_Shapiro First off we apologize about this issue with the Insync beta.

If you still encounter this issue, would you mind sending a screenshot of the duplication that occurs? How did this lead to you losing some work?

@jimperio That keeps happening to me with version 1.3 (Windows 10) and I therefore considered updating to the 1.4 beta hoping that it would not occur again. Somehow the MS Office versions of Docs/Sheets/Slides get synced back to Drive (sometimes multiple duplicates) and the originals trashed. I have to check the trash folder every day, restore files and delete the Office versions from Drive. If it helps: I exclusively use Docs/Sheets/Slides to edit documents and don’t touch the MS Office versions. They are just there for offline backup purposes.

Is this already fixed in 1.4.1 or will it be in 1.4.2?

EDIT: Exactly because of those potential issues I whish Insync would have one-way sync so that it can be used as a pure backup solution for Docs/Sheets/Slides with no chance of messing with any files on Drive (Prevent Insync from propogating deletes to Google Drive).

@Markus Do you encounter duplication during normal usage (that is, not during Insync setup when re-using local files)? If you only use Drive to edit, then that’s really strange. Do you sync the same docs/sheets/slides to any other computers?

@jimperio Yes, I encounter duplication during normal usage almost every day. Yes, I only use Drive to edit (working with Docs/Sheets/Slides in the browser). The duplicatin alone wouldn’t be the worst of it, but sometimes the original Drive files get trashed and only the converted MS Office files remain.

However, I’m using Google’s Backup & Sync client on one computer and Insync on another. It’s hard to imagine that concurrent access would create any issues as the Backup & Sync client doesn’t actually sync the Docs/Sheets/Slides files.

For the moment I switched to rclone just for backup purposes on the second computer (to have an offline backup of my Docs/Sheets/Slides files in case I lose access to my account). However, I would prefer to have reliable two-way sync with Insync.

@Markus Thanks for the response. Could you please send us an email at support@insynchq.com and share with us the “dbs” folder located at ~/.config/Insync so that we can look for more clues? If you can, please also share with us some of the names of recently affected/duplicated files.

@jimperio My Insync dbs folder has 305MB and I don’t really feel comfortable sharing the logs as they contain the names of all my files (the config.db would apparently even contain my access tokens!).

Would it help if I only share chunks of data from the gd2-[…].db files? I could copy/paste some text around entries about a file for which the issue regularly happened. I would just need to search for “[filename] (2).xlsx”.

Btw, I’m using Windows 10, so the logs are located in %AppData%.

I made a python script that compares my Google Photo files, helping to remove the duplicates.
Check it out in https://github.com/rodriguesprobr/insync_image_duplicity