Two-way synchronization of deletes

Hello,

I’m trying to achieve a true bidirectional synch. By that I mean that ALL changes made either locally or on drive should be reflected to the other location. After testing, I found that this is not what insync’s “bidirectional” synch does - because it does not synch delete operations both ways. If I delete a file in drive, it gets deleted locally, but if I delete a file locally, it doesn’t get deleted in drive. That makes some sense, if you want to use drive as a backup and be sure not to loose anything if you accidentally delete a file from your computer. But it’s not what I would call “bidirectional” sync. It’s rather a “merge synch” (as I have seen this type of sync being called elsewhere).

Is there a way to achieve such true bidirectional synch with insync, including a two-way sync of deletes?

BR//DS

Hi @DavidS79,

Interesting case! Insync 3.4.x has a 2-way sync function that supports the behavior you described: if a file/folder is synced 2-way, then any deletions made locally will propagate in the cloud (and vice versa). For a bit more context, Insync had always been a bidirectional sync prior to releasing the 1-way sync feature.

Are you able to replicate this behavior and do a screen recording? If so, please send it to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

What you describe is not what I get. I depend on full two (or more) way sync.
Something very off in your settings. I believe a one way sync is now possible, but it’s not the default.

I can’t really see what setting that would be… there aren’t really that many settings to change. And I just tried it again with the latest version 3.4.1.40977, still the same result. The file remains in drive, but the sync-icon disappears. That’s not mirroring the delete operation.

Hi @DavidS79,

Hmm, was that file synced via Cloud Selective Sync or Local Selective Sync? I’m pertaining to the two icons on the upper right of your screen (see screenshot) - which, when clicked, asks if you’d like to sync 1-way or 2-way.

If you can, could you send a short screen recording to support@insynchq.com showing the behavior your described? Please also send me a screenshot of how the file looks like (as synced) on the app.

Hi @Spike!

Could you confirm your Insync version as well as the behavior you’re actually getting on the app when syncing your files 2-way?

Hi miamoran,

hm, I don’t think these icons looked quite like that when I set it up, since it was before 1-way sync was introduced. But should it really matter whether I sync from my local drive to the cloud or vice versa? Apart from when the initial syncronization of the content is done, a bidirectional sync should operate in a completely symmetric fashion once the folders are synced, shouldn’t it?

Hi David,

Per your email and screen recording, it shouldn’t matter if you 2-way synced via local to cloud or vice versa. I see that it’s indeed synced 2-way, but the local deletion is somehow being recognized as an unsync, indicated by the removal of the green check.

I’ve responded to your email and have requested for logs - let me know if you didn’t receive my reply! :slight_smile: