Ubuntu 18.04 LTS: tray icon shows, but no GUI

My Linux box at work has just been upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. After reading many other threads here on the forum, I was able to finally make the tray icon appear. However, when I click on it, nothing happens (even though insync seems to be perfectly healthy, as reported by “insync get_status”). Here’s where it gets tricky:

If I install (K)StatusNotifierItem extension, I am able to interact with the icon, but instead of directly showing insync’s GUI as a pulldown menu, it shows a text pulldown menu instead, where the first option is “Open app window” (which is annoying); clicking on it makes the GUI appear at a random position (very annoying). If I remove the extension, GUI stops showing at all.

Some additional info:

• I installed vanilla-gnome-desktop to have a pure GNOME experience
  • sni-qt is installed
  • libappindicator3-1 and libindicator3-7 are also installed; I cannot uninstall them because it would also uninstall a lot of packages, including vanilla-gnome-desktop
  • graphics card is an onboard Intel Sandybridge

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey @Costa!

Thanks for reaching out. :slight_smile: I’ll course this through our engineer and he’ll update you accordingly.

I had this, but I went to the site and downloaded an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS friendly version and installed it, and it came back to life just fine.

Hi @David_Pickett, thanks for the feedback. Could you please elaborate a little further? What version exactly did you download? The one targeted for 18.04 LTS (insync_1.4.9.37127-artful_amd64.deb) is the one I installed and is not working as expected.

Latest Insync to match 18.04 LTS.

Having this same issue with Linux Mint 20…
Cannot open, but keeps syncing files… Now my HDD is filling up and I need to remove a folder from the list…

Also, I just tried to update to 3.2.6 to see if that would fix it, but it does not.

What can I do?

Does insync show work?