Updating file's timestamp doesn't get synced to Google Drive

Hi,

Updating a file’s timestamp doesn’t get synced to Google Drive leading to inconsistency between local and cloud states.

Steps to reproduce (Linux command line):

1. echo “Hello” > hello.txt # Creates a new file with the mtime T, uploads it to Google Drive with “modification time” set to T
  2. sleep 300 # Wait 5 minutes
  3. echo “Hello” > hello.txt # Or ‘touch hello.txt’ = update the file without changing its contents.
  4. Wait a few moments for the change to get synced and check the file’s “modification time” on drive.google.com . The file’s “modification time” on Google Drive is still set to T instead of T+5 minutes.

Ubuntu Linux, insync v3.2.1.40839

Hello,

any news on this bug?

Hello, any progress here?

The issue is a year old now, but I have been trying this, too and the results are mixed and confusing (Insync 3.5.3.50123,Ubuntu):

When using touch to change the mtime locally (touch *), the times show the new timestamp as expected on my laptop. Sometimes, the new timestamp gets synced to gdrive, but only for a minority of files. After a while, most of the original mtimes are synced back from gdrive to my local file system. In the end, I have some inconsistent mtimes and some that are consistent but do not reflect the datetimes I set locally.

Any hints? Anything I can configure?

This is annoying, because modification times are a highly useful tool and not being able to rely on them is frustrating.

Thanks
Phil

Hi @Philipp_Pagel,

Let me follow up this issue to our engineers. We were able to replicate this not just on Linux, but also on Windows-- so it doesn’t seem to be OS-specific anymore.