Use insync installed locally, remotely

Hello,

I installed insync at my work’s computer locally and started using it. The OS is Ubuntu 18.04.

Due to the covid situation the company went full remote, and after 2 months I finally had to reboot remotely and insync does not seem to be started in this way.

I tried using insync start, but it does nothing, and the files are not updated.

I have seen that there is a insync-headless, but it would be a new installation, and I would like to just start the current one even if there is no local session started in the computer. I’m assuming that the starting of insync fails because there is no graphical interface (from this other thread: Can I use Insync on Linux terminal only?)

Could you please help me launching the installed insync?

Thank you!

Hi @rpicatoste,

Could you run insync start --no-daemon and send me the output here? What’s your Insync version on the Ubuntu 18.04 machine?

The output is this:

(base) [...]$ insync start --no-daemon
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display 
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

The version is:

$ apt policy insync
insync:
  Installed: 3.1.5.40801-bionic
  Candidate: 3.1.6.40808-bionic
  Version table:
     3.1.6.40808-bionic 500
        500 http://apt.insync.io/ubuntu bionic/non-free amd64 Packages
 *** 3.1.5.40801-bionic 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Please do not hesitate to let me know if the outcome is “it’s not possible”. Better to know and find another way … I’m really in need to make this work.

If it is not possible to make it run in this conditions, could you please let me know how to uninstall and clean properly the client, and then how to install the CLI client? I believe it’s possible to do everything just through SSH but please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi! Apologies for not responding here sooner. I have followed this up with our Linux team and will update you what steps to take next!

Hi! Could you try DISPLAY=:0 insync start --no-daemon? Then if it works, please run DISPLAY=:0 insync start.

Hello,

I get a similar result:

$ DISPLAY=:0 insync start --no-daemon
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Is the command line correctly introduced? Is there something else to try?

Thank you

Hi @rpicatoste!

Could you try DISPLAY=:0 QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 insync start --no-daemon? and also could you send us the env | grep DISPLAY?

Thanks!

1 Like