Very slow login process ... same situation even after total environment reconstruction


#1

I experienced very slow login process, 30 to 40 minutes to log into all three my Google accounts to start syncing, since last August after changing a hard disk of my computer changed and copied its partition.

I talked Insync team members after this, and tried almost everything I can think of. However, it is regrettable that the situation does not change.
My environment is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit, Ryzen 7 1800 X and 32GB memory installed.

Few days ago, I made a final decision … full uninstallation of Insync and re-construction of environment. It included total removal of Insync-related files (all files under ~/.config/Insync and ~/.cache/insync.py), uninstallation of insync itself and removal of all existing synced files. After this total reconstruction … thing did not get better. Everything is same, slow login continues.
This shows my symptom is very, very specific to my system, not from Insync function (of course some glitch between Insync codes and my system may be blamed to this problem, but still this is very specific)

So, I would like to hear from members here possible cause of slow logins, for example,

  • Hardware setup: CPU, memory, external disks, …
  • System setting: settings of system under /etc, daemons, services, disk partitions, …
  • Google Drive: login throttling, OAuth token, …
  • Network problem: network setting, upstream network problem, …

I am operating five computers, most of all are dual boot of Windows and Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) and all is equipped with Insync, both Windows and Ubuntu. However, such slow login problems occurs only in one computer (I confirm login process of some computers are slow, but it takes only several minutes. This computer need 30 to 40 mins).

Every little helps. Your cooperation very much appreciated.


#2

Hi @terakin!

Really sorry for the snag you encountered here. More often than not, slow login can usually be solved by changing your network connection :sweat_smile:


#3

Thanks, @najdc for good suggestion. However, I could not find better result when I tried some changes for my network settings.

Here is what I tried …

  • Disabling IPv6
    – By changing “disable” for IPv6 in GNOME setting app
    – Using /etc/sysctl.conf to write codes to disable IPv6 worldwide (and activate by reboot and sysctl -p)
  • Changing DNS to Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
  • Reviewing Router setting (particularly IPv6-related)
  • Changing network setting
    – Currently the computer uses fixed IP address. I tried to change it into other addresses supplied by a DHCP server (here, it’s the same as the Router).
  • Packet capture monitoring.

Sadly, all these efforts produced no progress. Still I have slow (=time-consuming) logins.
One of my assumption was that, as it takes some time to fall back to IPv4-based communication when Insync fails to communicate with Google server using Google Drive API via IPv6, login process seems to be very slow (and everything goes no problem after successful logging in).
Also, there are many issues directed by many users for Japanese IPv6 network particularly supplied by NTT, Japan’s largest network infrastructure manager (NOT a provider). It is pointed many times that NTT uses nonstandard IPv6 settings in their network and it is sometimes blamed for connection trouble for IPv6-aware site such as Google and Facebook.
However, other computers below my home network can use Insync with no problem, logging in instantly, and it is unlikely that NTT and otther router-related settings are the cause of this problem.

So, any other issues? More suggestions appreciated.


#4

I think this issue can’t be resolved this way you have to contact the customer care only they can resolve this. I found a useful information here. You can go through it &; let me know is this useful or not.


#5

Very unfortunately, no. Still having a problem.


#6

I spent nearly full two days in total to tackle with this problem by additional thorough reviewing of my network environment. However, things did not go well. Everything is as before, slow syncing.

This time I tried,

  • switching network control system from NetworkManager to systemd-networkd / systemd-resolved (I reverted system to NM after confirming this does not help things better).
  • All possible change of IPv6-related system settings (auto / auto-with-DHCP / fixed / manual / disable)
  • Checking raw Insync log file (logs.db) using sqlite3, with no clues.

I am now wondering whether the cause of this trouble is related to network settings. One another possibility may be disk-related, as this trouble started when I changed my hard drive (more precisely, copying a whole /home partition from old disk to new one, and attach to current system and mount). In this time, older 2TB partition is extended to 4TB, full content of the new disk. It is really unlikely this is the cause of this trouble, but I should review this topic this time.

Also, I would like to know how to make Insync tell more system information. Output from Insync is really little (either by invoking “insync start --no-daemon” or inspecting logs.db) and this makes investigation really difficult. It would be of great help for me if Insync CLI has “debugging” or “verbose” option, like most of Linux application.

Thanks,