We need your help on pricing!

This!

I paid for inSync when it was a yearly fee (three google accounts, all paid) and I gave my very negative feedback when the price model changed, first of all because it was really difficilt to understand the new one (communication was terrible, sorry guys).

I wondered how could you bear with the future without a constant money stream and I was worried for the quality of the product. And man, I was right… inSync 3.x is unusable and dangerous and after pinning 1.5 for a while on my Linux PCs I decided last time NOT to reinstall the software anymore.

Too bad the only alternative is running everything in the browser, which is really unfortunate.

If I had to suggest a pricing model, well keep it simple: affordable per-cloud-account yearly fee.
Since many here said they would never go with an yearly fee, maybe a more expansive one-off option that covers one major release (need to pay more to upgrade from 3 to 4 for example).

About freemium, it can pay off, but if I had to decide, please concentrate on doing one-thing better and ensuring you have the resources to spend on a PREMIUM product. Data are vital and inSync quality sunk to abysmal levels.
That’s a shame… 2020 and there is no RELIABLE way to sync files to the cloud from Linux.

2 Likes

Hi,
I only bought Insync because of Its one payment by account. I prefer having a license. I haven’t bought insync with a suscriptions model.

I find it quite hard to talk about price when Insync is non-functional right now for many users. (See threads re: high cpu use and never-ending scanning.)

You need to make it free for now, encourage users to help you debug it, - then when it works, I should think many people are happy to pay something.

At this stage, it is simply too glitchy and cannot be deployed in professional/work environments.

1 Like

I welcome the idea of moving away from payments per account. The real potential of Insync actually lies in managing several accounts for some people, I guess.

Currently your licenses seem to be pretty much bound to accounts, so that would possibly require a new mechanism. Else one would always have to sign in with the “license” account even if one doesn’t want to use it anymore.

Thus I suggest to introduce some kind of normal Insync license account which is not bound to syncing. Existing licenses could then be transferred to that account.

An alternative model might be that as long as one account for syncing has a license then all other connected accounts also can use that license.

Personally I don’t want to pay recurring fees and also don’t want to pay something to upgrade to a new system. But I might not be your target group.

I like the paying per account paradigm.

My only feedback would be to come up with a way for a user to switch the account they have licensed. Say for instance I currently sync with OnDrive, but in the future I decide to migrate to GDrive. As it is I’d have to buy a new license. It would be nice if there was a way to migrate my license from OneDrive to GDrive.

I personally choose not to subscribe to software - so at least for me, if InSync moved to a subscription it would no longer get my business.

I think if we choose to think “Pay Once - Use Forever” (ie not a subscription model which I assume is how some/most people use Insync) we must, like any tool, accept the tool as is when we bought it. For example if I buy some tool or a car or whatever - I cannot expect the manufacturer to continue to upgrade that product I’ve taken forever, or any amount of time really. Not unless I pay a high premium on the purchase cost of the tool. I suggest if we want the product to improve we need to invest in that product.

Having said that, I’m currently trialling the use of “Cloud Sync” in my Synology NAS to sort out all this pesky cloud syncing. Now that DropBox are being very d!cky about how their product is used (limits on device counts and now very seriously CENSORSHIP of my files!) I’m being driven down this road. By the time my Insync subscription comes up for renewal next year I’ll have to chose one way or the other.

1 Like