Weird insyncdl file

Hello. I have a question.

I am using Inysnc version 3.3.8.40942 on my MacBook M1.
After the sync is complete, I got this weird files named as follow:

.~1nyF2-_eBjLyi9ivQApNYMqfwIxloclgh-945b09.insyncdl
.~1bfC7C6VjUsqJGaTRMQ7DHd-yQmSvE2Ap-c94735.insyncdl

What is it for? Is it safe to delete it?

Hi! Those are the hidden & temporary download files created by Insync which stay there until their download is complete. Once the download is complete, such files are renamed to their proper names. If you find the files completely downloaded, you can delete the temporary files if they are still present.

If you are encountering a permission denied error during this process, please send to us the logs.db file to support@insynchq.com along with a link to this post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mara:

I have 5 devices hooked up to Insync. I notice I too had quite a few of these insyncdl files lying around and never getting cleaned up.

• This appears to have started after a recent update (last 2-4 weeks)
  • I not have much activity - perhaps 50 file operations per day (add/remove/rename/move). Most of these ops are renames or moves.
  • A lot of the file changes are done via command line, while others are done via Dolphin
  • All clients are Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  • This problem only has appeared on shared drives to date, but that may be because that’s where all the action is.

Is it safe to delete them all? Do you have suggestions to avoid these in the future?

# This finds 83 files, some weeks old
find ./ |grep -P '[^/]/\..*\.insyncdl$' |wc -l

# This removes the files, even those with spaces
while read -r _file; do 
  /bin/rm "${_file}"; 
done < <(find ./ |grep -P '[^/]/\..*\.insyncdl$');

Hello, Mike! Thank you for letting us know about this! We’ll need to investigate your log files so we can know more about the issue. However, if your file has been synced completely but the .insyncdl file is still present, you can proceed to deleting this.

Please send your logs to support@insynchq.com so we can check this out! :slight_smile:

Hi Mara:

I will clean out these files and see if the issue recurs after the recent releases. If it does, I’ll send along the logs. Thank you!

Cheers, Mike

1 Like

Keep us updated! Thank you for reporting this!