When is an Apple Silicon native version of Insync coming out? [beta build available for testing]

@mia Any updates on this? Intel Apple will be dead by the end of the year.

I’ll post an update as soon as I have more info @Andy_Pastuszak :slight_smile:

Hello everyone!

Happy to announce that we have a beta build available for our Apple Silicon users. If you’d like to test it out, please shoot an email to support@insynchq.com and include the following details:

• Subject line: “Beta build for M1”
  • Link to this Forums post

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, any progress on m1 silicon InSync client development? Will it fix the outstanding memory leaks?

Hey @Eric_A!

We are still running some tests after encountering a few auto-update issues on the macOS universal build (which is compatible with M1 silicon). For reference, the v3.7.14 found on our downloads page is still the Intel build.

We sent the test build to users who reached out via email, and so far we have received positive feedback on it. However, we did receive one report that there is still an observable memory leak (about 1GB after Insync ran for about a day), so we are looking into that. :slight_smile:

Hope this update answers your question!

1 Like

Hi, I am running insync on Ubuntu 22.04 and I am having several issues with memoryt leak. The problem starts as soon as the OS starts. I am doing a big download, but I tried to crease and I still facing the problem. I am running the Insync 3.7.14.

Hello, @Tuanan_Lourenco!

Please send your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post. These 2 files are in ~/.config/Insync.

Can we please get a Weekly update on this issue here?
We have paid good money for this app to work and time into helping Insync with fault finding.

It would be nice to know what is happening to solve this problem and the timeline.
Also in the meantime what can we do to minimise this, either via a new version or a new app:
I am running: 3.8.0.50343

I get this before Quit Insync:

after Quit Insync:

And of course, after re-start to clear Insync memory Insync then uses up tons of CPU, because it does a re-sync.

Fundamentally this is all flawed…

Hi @Jamie_Browning

Thank you for following up on this! Our Mac M1 build (also called Universal build) is being tested for the next version release. :slight_smile: We’re making sure that it passes all the necessary test runs first before we provide it publicly. We appreciate your patience on this!

Thank you,
Can you also please make sure we get all the relevant detail about the changes you are making.
especially if you are adopting the new Apple FileProvider APIs.

I really worry you guys are going to cause major chaos to my files.
So when this comes out we need to know how we should install, and if we should do a backup prior to upgrade.

We need all release notes and all major changes delivered.

Will do, @Jamie_Browning.

Hello, everyone! The Mac M1 build is ready, and can be downloaded from here! Moving forward, we’ll be referring to this as the Mac universal build

For reference, we did not change anything related to FileProvider APIs.

To use this new version, please quit any running instance of Insync on your Activity Monitor. Then, install v3.8.1 on your machine and let us know if you encounter any memory leaks. Thank you!

2 Likes

OK I am testing.
right out of the gate “RUBBISH” … !!! but read on !!!..

This pic is showing the result of a finished first scan following an OS update and a MAC restart.
I upgraded to MAC OS13.0.1 on M1 chip Pro 16"

I am on Insync 3.8.1.50459.

screenshot was taken in a very clean situation with no file updates needing to be processed.
I am going to restart and try again because there is a chance Apple made changes to all of my files.

Here we go jump on the rollercoaster…

So I restarted Insync and this is immediately following a fresh re-scan.

OK so this is more acceptable following a re-scan.
So I will ignore the 5GB above as a first scan after OS upgrade.

But it still isn’t acceptable as that 5 Billions Bytes, there is no way that much data in a database for an app is required, let alone being stored in RAM.

But I will continue and provide this pic of my second scan:

2:03pm

from here I will let it run, but in the few minutes typing this the RAM has gone down 200KB instead of the typical UP.

So this is a good start!, I am excited to come back to this after a full day of work.
I will report back with another post.
Others please do the same and share your full experience, that way Insync get the most out of their changes and we are providing back to them showing them that their efforts are worth it.
If this is fixed I am going to shout it from the rooftops, and try to send more customers.

UPDATE after 1hr:50mins :

3:50pm

Unfortunately it is not looking good.
Now I think my MAC was already on for hours when I turned it on earlier, meaning Insync was probably already running and had racked up plenty of memory usage.

Oh well I will continue to leave it for a few more hours.
Currently I do have the Insync screen open, so maybe that is a factor, but that would be strange if it was.
I will now close the window leaving Insync running in the background.
lets see what happens…

UPDATE 1 day 20 hours later (My MAC has been sleeping a fair amount of time over that period not sur how many re-scans it has done; (but no files have been harmed in the making of this post.)

Hello, @Jamie_Browning!

We appreciate you so much for sending us such a detailed report after trying out our latest build. I have forwarded this to our engineers for investigation, and I’ll update you on their findings :slight_smile:

By the way @Jamie_Browning - if you haven’t, could you send your latest logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to your post?

Here is my latest screen shoot. THE FIX HAS NOT WORKED.
My MAC was in sleep mode most of the weekend and the memory has built up.
So I do not think there is a fix.
I do think the memory usage is going up when say there is a rescan or the like because it seems to go up in rough 600MB increments:

I would be happy to provide some logs. but I will only provide them if one of your team will do a zoom call with me to go through them as I only want to provide the specific logs that you need, that show the issue.
I would be more than happy to do a full on debug session with your team, but Insync team needs to step towards me, and show your desire to fix this problem.

Hi @Jamie_Browning

Since the problem is not being experienced by all the users, it would be helpful for us to see your logs to find out if there are any excessive tasks running repeatedly for you for some reason. We would really appreciate if you could record logs at various intervals (logs keep getting pruned too). For e.g. make a copy of logs.db file after 5 minutes of running Insync afresh, then at 25 minutes and 1 hour etc.

As to zoom call & debug session, we would do it if we are unable to gain any insight through the logs.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey there I’m experiencing the same Issue but on a much lower scale.
I have two Folders setup to Sync with round about 5GB file usage.
Now when i keep running insync for days in the background my ram usage ramps up to over 1GB when i restart it its back to 300MB and will slowly but surely ramp back up.

For me it’s the same. It starts using around 300MB and less than 24 hours later, with few files really updated, it goes to more than 1GB memory. Another thing that I’ve noticed is that when a file is updated, sometimes it scans only the file/folder that really changed and other times it starts scanning everything again, all folders and all files, which is really upsetting because I have several thousand files, almost 500Gb data. And I’ve been using Insync for the last 5 years with no problems on Windows and Linux. this memory problem happens only on Apple Silicon.