Where can I find description of when "reuploading" and "redownloading" is expected?

Ever since I started using Insync some years ago all the way through this current version 3.3.4, I frequently run into unexpected downloading and uploading. This sometimes costs me money, such as this past month when I ran over my ISP’s horrible data cap because of hundreds of gigabytes of files that were uploaded again after I moved them. I may lack some basic understanding, and would like to know these answers:

1. Do files get “moved” and not “reuploaded” if I move files with a command prompt / shell and Insync is not running but is later started?

2. Do files get “moved” and not “reuploaded” if I move files with a command prompt / shell and Insync is “stuck scanning” or uploading but is later restarted?

3. Do files get “moved” and not “reuploaded” if I move files with a command prompt / shell and Insync is running and fully caught up?

4. Do files get “moved” and not “reuploaded” if I move files with Nautilus / Dolphin / Nemo + Insync plugin and Insync is not running but is later started?

5. Do files get “moved” and not “reuploaded” if I move files with Nautilus / Dolphin / Nemo + Insync plugin and Insync is “stuck scanning” or uploading but is later restarted?

6. Do files get “moved” and not “reuploaded” if I move files with Nautilus / Dolphin / Nemo + Insync plugin and Insync is running and fully caught up?

7. Do files get “moved” and not “redownloaded” if I move files with Google Drive Web UI and Insync is not running but is later started?

8. Do files get “moved” and not “redownloaded” if I move files with Google Drive Web UI and Insync is “stuck scanning” or uploading but is later restarted?

9. Do files get “moved” and not “redownloaded” if I move files with Google Drive Web UI and Insync is running and fully caught up?

10. For all of the above, does it ever matter where a file was moved from and to as long as it is within the root sync tree?

11. For all of the above, does it ever matter if Insync is stopped / restarted or the computer is restarted before the moves / redownloads / reuploads are executed?

12. If I have a 5GB text file that is completely synced, and then I add one line to the text file (it’s a log), would I expect Insync to delete the file on Google Drive and then upload the complete 5GB file, each time it’s edited?

Thank you.

Hi @CNG,

Thank you so much for raising these concerns.

Insync recognizes moving files around as a “move” action shown on the Feed. As long as you are moving it locally within a synced folder, then it should not reupload to the cloud even if Insync wasn’t running and later restarted or stuck scanning and later uploaded. It should show “x was moved to y” on your Feed tab on the app.

The re-download when moving stuff around via web depends on whether you moved a previously unsynced file to a synced folder-- only then will it be downloaded since it was moved under a parent folder that’s currently synced.

For the 10th case, as long as you’re moving it within the local Base Folder then it should only show that it was moved instead of redownloaded/reuploaded. It also doesn’t matter if Insync was running/not running before executing the moves. It will pick up the changes once the app is running.

As for the last, Insync will not delete it. Have to confirm if it re-uploads the entire 5GB, let me update you on this :slight_smile:

UPDATE: Insync will resync the whole file each time changes are saved.