Win10 Explorer crashes when Insync window is open on desktop

Whenever I leave the Insync window open to monitor uploads to OneDrive or Google Drive, Explorer crashes and restarts my desktop.

Hi @Peter_O,

I’m so sorry for the trouble!

Please send your logs to support@insynchq.com and include the following files in the folder:

• logs.db
  • out.txt
  • data folder
  • live folder

If these are too big for an attachment, feel free to send us a link so we can download these.

The problem with that is, our log files contain file names that include information that is personal and confidential. For example, 1099’s with my account numbers in the 1099’s file name, health records, etc. etc. Going through the log files in the hopes that I can redact that information and be confident all that is removed is next to impossible.

No worries @Peter_O. It seems like there’s a Shell Extension issue here. What happens if you reinstall Insync 3.1.4? Does the behavior persist?

There are two issues: The ADCloudODItem errors and the frequent Explorer crashes. Tried reinstalling it just now and errors occurred within a few minutes of starting up again and in less than ten minutes it stopped backing up. Also, if you have a Win10 Explorer window open while backups are in progress, the entire desktop crashes and restarts. Once the ADCloudODItem stops the backup process, the crashes stop.

SQL won’t open the .db files as they are locked and thus I have no idea what information is contained in the .db files, but at least as far as the .txt files are concerned, the file names seems to have a consistent identifier. Here’s an example from my out.txt file:

DEBUG:root:NodeUpdate ‘Winchester Naturopath Stuff’ 3783c764458941f6|3783C764458941F6!4124

Is it possible to change the routine that produces the log such that the part of the file name ‘Winchester Naturopath Stuff’ is hashed and a separate text file is output for only the users to keep that keys " ‘Winchester Naturopath Stuff’ " to “3783C764458941F6!4124” ?

Is it also possible to make it so we’re allowed to cut and paste text from the application – particularly the error screen?

Upon further consideration: The bigger issue with ADCloudODItem is that it stops the backup process. I was able to get the backup process to startup again by deleting an old bookmarks folder with file names that were too long to delete. While manually altering my backup directories for all of the ADCloudODItem errors is not ideal, I’m willing to try anything to get me over the hump right now and get my files backed up. However, once the backups start, you’re unable to continue the manually edit process due to the fact that it once again starts crashing Explorer.

Update: Was able to manually move some offending folders to backup drive and Insync is currently running w/o any errors. Will update here again upon further results.

Update (May 1, 2020): ADCloudODItem still an issue with certain files/folders. Manual removal of offending files is the only solution. The possibility exists that this is a problem with OneDrive and, if so, an easier solution to this problem would be a more readable error message. The Explorer crashing issue goes away once a large upload is finished, but is still annoying if you want to manually troubleshoot the ADCloudODItem errors.

Hi @Peter_O,

I’ve forwarded this to our Windows team so we can determine what’s causing the Windows Explorer to continuously crash, as well as what we can do to improve the error message handling to make it more informative moving forward.

Hello @Peter_O,

Could you send across the exact error screenshot and log files to support@insynchq.com so that we could investigate it?

Thanks

Win10 Explorer still crashing during large transfers to the cloud. When will this be fixed?

Sending you our log files when they record file names that contain potentially personal data is NOT acceptable. The log files should be hashing the names of our personal files. When will this fixed?

I appreciate the multitude of things you’re doing regarding the development of this important tool, but what is the timeline on these issues?