A File in multiple Google Drive folders--which folder does insync sync the file to?

And here I am three years later and it’s biting me again, with a serious problem.

Insync does not support the basic Google Drive functions due to this, and it appears to be the only missing point. Is there any hope that this might be resolved at some point?

1 Like

Dear Insync, please add support for syncing files in multiple folders. At least on Linux, this functionality of Google Drive can be mapped with hard links. Please provide an update on this most wanted feature request, thanks!

2 Likes

I bought Insync almost 2 years ago now, but have been postponing “figuring out my long term storage solution” until this feature was implemented.

we are adding this ability in insync 3 :smile:

1 Like

@terpua Thanks for that information. When is insync 3 coming out?

I’m glad there’s been some discussion about this. Here’s my 2 cents, which I typed up before reading this thread:

I’ve only started using Insync yesterday.
I have some files and folders that are located in more than one place on my Google Drive. I achieved this by pressing Shift + Z on my keyboard when the item was selected in the web app. I did this to help make my Drive easier to use; also, some PDFs are shared with other people in a separate folder to where I update them (on TeX) in my own folders.

I have my “Masters degree” folder in the top level of my drive so that it’s easier to access, but it’s also buried inside Work > University > Economics. It didn’t turn up at the top level, but that wasn’t so much of a problem, because I just turned off the sync for the folder that is buried inside my other folders.

However, I wanted to start using Insync to work on my LaTeX documents (the PDFs I was talking about). The PDF needs to be in the same folder as my .tex file for that to work, but now the one PDF is in the folder which is shared with other people… … … I guess I could just turn off the sync for the file in that shared folder, and do that manually for each file with this issue.

But, I’ve put files and folders in multiple locations hundreds of times, so it would be very complicated for me to figure out all the un-syncing settings.

Suggestion (feature request): In your development, please consider supporting this use case, where a single file or folder appears in multiple places on my Google Drive.

2 Likes