Extremely high memory usage on Macbook

Hi,
I would like to report unacceptably high memory usage of Insync.
I am doing nothing unusual, almost nothing is uploaded to GDrive.
I am syncing only a few small text / excel documents (whole synced folder with all files has exactly 50.6 MB)

But, my notebook is running like for 7 days (without restart).
During this 7 days, Insync memory usage increased to 7 GB and it is still slowly increasing, despite Insync does nothing significant.

I am using many demanding applications, but this little Insync utility
is the most memory consuming application in my OS.

If I am syncing only 50MB small folder, it should never happen, that Insync consumes > 7 GB of memory. This is extreme memory leak.

Hardware: Macbook Pro M1 Max
Insync version: 3.8.4.50481 (3.8.4.50481)

Insync has also extreme CPU time - quite unusual and unacceptabily high:
(despite, there is almost nothing to sync 99.99% of the time)

This is simply very bad and needs to be solved.

I know, it is maybe not easy to spot these memory leaks, but you should do it.
It is simply easily reproducible, so with some memory debugger, you have to find, where all that memory goes and what is inside this occupied 7 GB RAM, when I synchronize only small 50 MB folder.

Let me know please, what you need from me, to seriously help you fix this memory leak and will help.

Attaching also zipped logs.db + out.txt files.

logs.db + out.txt files

1 Like

Thank you @Stefan_Simik for reporting the memory leak and CPU spike, and my apologies for the trouble! In the meantime, it possible to restart your machine to lower the memory consumption, or are you running some apps that prevent you from rebooting?

Thank you Mia, I can do the restart of course,
in the meantime, till the problem is found / fixed.

As the issue is not fixed for a longer time, I expect it is not so easy to fix,
so I hope I can help you anyway :heart:

I appreciate your patience and understanding, @Stefan_Simik! I have escalated this to our Mac Team so we can re-investigate accordingly.

1 Like

Hi - for the last few weeks I have been experiencing this as well - this morning I quit Insync when it had gotten to 5 GB of memory usage. CPU usage does not seem to be excessive in my case. It seems to do this over a few days before I restart the app to release it.
Macbook Pro M1
MacOS 13.3.1 (a) (22E772610a)
Insync version… 3.8.6.50504

After restarting when I posted this, Insync is now up to 1GB of memory use (12 hours later).

1 Like

Hi @Oliver_Jobson,

Could you send your latest logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post?

Took me a little while, but I’ve sent these across just now.

1 Like

Got the log files, thank you so much!

Hi - Any update?
Thanks

@Oliver_Jobson Thank you for reaching out to follow-up. Our engineers are currently putting much of their resources on releasing Encryption (see here), and users may experience delays on updates regarding their bug reports. My apologies for the troubles but rest assured I am actively following up with our team.

I appreciate your understanding!

Is this ever going to be fixed? My m1 consistently starts using 17GB of memory after some time running. Is this expected behavior? I don’t have this issue on other Macs, or under Linux.

I am having the same issues, huge battery drain such that the app is not usable. This issue means I can’t use it on my mac and need to find another solution.

Hello @kabeervohra, could you let me know if Insync was doing a large sync job at the time it was taking up a lot of resources?

No this happens on login every time, even though no files have changed. As people have mentioned in this chat since 2018! I have paid for this, when will this be fixed as it’s completely disgraceful that every time I login to my brand new M2 pro, it slows down and removes 2% of battery every time.

@kabeervohra My apologies for the long-standing issue that the Mac community has been experiencing! :frowning: We don’t have a timeline on the fix yet as we are putting much of our focus on Encryption. I will check with our engineers again what our approach would be for this bug.

The battery and CPU being destroyed is a fundamental issue with the software being usable or not, and is much more important that encryption. Rescanning everything on reboot is unnecessary, furthermore there needs to be some kind of limit when doing the rescan on CPU consumption because it can’t just go and take all the CPU of the machine every time it scans

@kabeervohra I understand your pain points and will escalate this to our team. Thank you.

Batteries can be replaced on a laptop; but you cannot replace the drives without un-soldering and soldering them; which can have mixed results. This is an issue because if the program uses more memory than the computer has, it will use the ssd as memory. And this will wear out the ssd faster. If the ssd goes on newer mac’s ; you either pay to have a new one soldered on and hope that it works; or you buy a new motherboard/computer. This is not an ideal situation.

got the same problem, on iMac and Macbook. It seems, as would there be no Cache-deletion, as for time the consumed amount of RAM rises.

insync is running at startup in background. if i am correct, you’Re using PYTHON. This could not be an insync-related Problem, but a python not releasing cache problem :slight_smile:

restarting insync resolves the RAM-Usage, but after two to three weeks, there will be a usage of multiple gigabytes. currently i sync on that specific machine about 17600 files with a total amount of 108gb. The RAM-consumption after an reboot of 28.10. is about 1.5gb.

1 Like

I am having the same issue of extremely high CPU usage, causing my Macbook Air M1 to be super slow. Hoping this issue can be fixed soonest possible.

1 Like