Extremely high memory usage on Macbook

Hi - for the last few weeks I have been experiencing this as well - this morning I quit Insync when it had gotten to 5 GB of memory usage. CPU usage does not seem to be excessive in my case. It seems to do this over a few days before I restart the app to release it.
Macbook Pro M1
MacOS 13.3.1 (a) (22E772610a)
Insync version… 3.8.6.50504

After restarting when I posted this, Insync is now up to 1GB of memory use (12 hours later).

1 Like

Hi @Oliver_Jobson,

Could you send your latest logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post?

Took me a little while, but I’ve sent these across just now.

1 Like

Got the log files, thank you so much!

Hi - Any update?
Thanks

@Oliver_Jobson Thank you for reaching out to follow-up. Our engineers are currently putting much of their resources on releasing Encryption (see here), and users may experience delays on updates regarding their bug reports. My apologies for the troubles but rest assured I am actively following up with our team.

I appreciate your understanding!

Is this ever going to be fixed? My m1 consistently starts using 17GB of memory after some time running. Is this expected behavior? I don’t have this issue on other Macs, or under Linux.

I am having the same issues, huge battery drain such that the app is not usable. This issue means I can’t use it on my mac and need to find another solution.

Hello @kabeervohra, could you let me know if Insync was doing a large sync job at the time it was taking up a lot of resources?

No this happens on login every time, even though no files have changed. As people have mentioned in this chat since 2018! I have paid for this, when will this be fixed as it’s completely disgraceful that every time I login to my brand new M2 pro, it slows down and removes 2% of battery every time.

@kabeervohra My apologies for the long-standing issue that the Mac community has been experiencing! :frowning: We don’t have a timeline on the fix yet as we are putting much of our focus on Encryption. I will check with our engineers again what our approach would be for this bug.

The battery and CPU being destroyed is a fundamental issue with the software being usable or not, and is much more important that encryption. Rescanning everything on reboot is unnecessary, furthermore there needs to be some kind of limit when doing the rescan on CPU consumption because it can’t just go and take all the CPU of the machine every time it scans

@kabeervohra I understand your pain points and will escalate this to our team. Thank you.

Batteries can be replaced on a laptop; but you cannot replace the drives without un-soldering and soldering them; which can have mixed results. This is an issue because if the program uses more memory than the computer has, it will use the ssd as memory. And this will wear out the ssd faster. If the ssd goes on newer mac’s ; you either pay to have a new one soldered on and hope that it works; or you buy a new motherboard/computer. This is not an ideal situation.

got the same problem, on iMac and Macbook. It seems, as would there be no Cache-deletion, as for time the consumed amount of RAM rises.

insync is running at startup in background. if i am correct, you’Re using PYTHON. This could not be an insync-related Problem, but a python not releasing cache problem :slight_smile:

restarting insync resolves the RAM-Usage, but after two to three weeks, there will be a usage of multiple gigabytes. currently i sync on that specific machine about 17600 files with a total amount of 108gb. The RAM-consumption after an reboot of 28.10. is about 1.5gb.

1 Like

I am having the same issue of extremely high CPU usage, causing my Macbook Air M1 to be super slow. Hoping this issue can be fixed soonest possible.

1 Like

So this is not good. A ridiculous amount of memory usage.Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 10.43.50 PM

@Mac_Sims Hi! This is definitely not good as it is hogging your resources! Does the memory leak happen even when Insync is running idle (i.e. no sync activity)?

It happens at idle, but at a much slower rate than when it is syncing files/folders. I ended up just restarting the app every day, as by the end of the day I would hit 10+ GB usage. It’s a very badly coded piece of software. Since this has been an issue for years as can be seen throughout the forums, I suspect their main mac coder has resigned some time ago and the app has been left to languish, with some minor changes made but nothing significant to try fix this problem.

Hi @Rob_euk!

I am terribly sorry to hear that you’ve needed to restart Insync every day due to the memory leak issue.

Our Mac Team has revisited this long-standing issue in the past, but one main factor with these kinds of issues is its level of replicability. We initially had a promising lead regarding Insync’s interaction with Time Machine, but unfortunately after the improvements were released, the issue eventually resurfaced. :frowning:

Another user shared that the memory leak happens with Carbon Copy Cloner task running - is there any chance you have this on your machine as well?