FEEDBACK WANTED: Insync 3 headless

1. Why do you need Insync headless?
    So that I can have a local copy of my Google drive files on a headless Linux file server. Largely to make sure that I have redundant backups in different places of different types.
    I also use the Linux server for a variety of things like configuring cloud VMs, scripting, etc. from the command line, and want my files on the server backed up (to Google drive).

2. What is your workaround without Insync headless?
    I have none (I use v1.5.7)

3. What features/behavior would make Insync 3 headless better than Insync 1.5 headless?
    I just need it to keep an accurate sync of my files

4. Would you prefer to have Insync 3 headless as a separate product or integrated into the GUI?
    I have no GUI

5. What platform(s) do you need Insync headless to work?
    Ubuntu

1 Like

Why do you need Insync headless?

• Used on a openmediavault server; which does not have a GUI.

What is your workaround without Insync headless?

• No workaround, using v1.5.7

What features/behavior would make Insync 3 headless better than Insync 1.5 headless?

• Reliable, Reliable, Reliable, Reliable syncing, with no loss of data.
  • Advanced logging for bot normal operation and error conditions.
  • Easily accessible configuration file.

Would you prefer to have Insync 3 headless as a separate product or integrated into the GUI?

• Separate to avoid the need for unnecessary library includes/dependencies. Also need to be able to install via CLI.

What platform(s) do you need Insync headless to work?

• Linux - Debian, Ubuntu, Arch & RedHat derivatives (CentOS, Fedora).
1 Like

I use this custom made docker image to run insync on a server in order to backup Google Drive folder: https://github.com/hadim/docker-insync

1 Like
  • Why do you need Insync headless?
    I sync between my main desktop and laptop when traveling, and when doing so I ssh into my main desktop, and move the files I need to my insync directory. Previously this wasn’t an issue because I could just use the command line interface to start insync on my main desktop remotely via SSH. Now I can’t do that and it’s a PITA to have to start up a VNC session just to start insync. Also, as you may or may not remember, there was an issue with insync not starting with Fedora 30. The workaround was to add a statement at system startup to start insync headless and use the command line interface. If you don’t have a headless mode, you lose a potential circumvention for GUI issues. And, this issue wasn’t fixed quickly - which highlights the need for a command line interface if for nothing else, circumvention purposes.
  • What is your workaround without Insync headless?
    The workaround is to use VNC for file transfer. However, there is no solution if for whatever reason the GUI stops working.
  • What features/behavior would make Insync 3 headless better than Insync 1.5 headless?
    I can’t think of any, the commands were fairly comprehensive. You should at least keep functionality parity with 1.5 - why would you have a later release with less functionality?
  • Would you prefer to have Insync 3 headless as a separate product or integrated into the GUI?
    It should be the same product and incorporated into the GUI as it was previously. Again, I don’t understand the strategy of coming out with a later release of something with less functionality. Insync should always have a command line interface.
  • What platform(s) do you need Insync headless to work
    Linux, specifically the current releases of Fedora.
2 Likes

Woot! I’m glad to hear you guys are looking into this! I’ve been using the headless version for quite some time and have come to rely on it!

I use it on a system that doesn’t have a GUI on it so a shell via ssh is my only interface. It’s actually a virtualized server. I have several pieces of automation via bash scripts where I rely on get_status, get_sync_progress, pause_syncing, resume_syncing and so forth. I also use the manage_selective_sync interactively, so the curses-like UI for that is very helpful.

Right now, I’m exploring that. I’ve been using v1.4.9 but have had issues with it lately and haven’t been able to solve them.

What features/behavior would make Insync 3 headless better than Insync 1.5 headless?

The same features I mentioned above would be great. If there was better memory management, even better.

Would you prefer to have Insync 3 headless as a separate product or integrated into the GUI?

Doing it separately would probably be better in my scenario so installing the package wouldn’t try and pull in all the GUI dependencies.

Debian would be my first choice as that’s what I use now. If I had to, I could do Ubuntu.

Thanks guys for taking those of us who use(d) the headless version into consideration!

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from FEEDBACK WANTED: Insync 3 headless:

Because I can run batch jobs on an unattended machine.

At the moment, I’m using an older version. Works fine, BTW.

3. What features/behavior would make Insync 3 headless better than Insync 1.5 headless?
    Being supported is more than enough!

4. Would you prefer to have Insync 3 headless as a separate product or integrated into the GUI?
    Don’t care but being integrated could lead to installation problems… (e.g. libraries compatibility)

Linux. Maybe useful for MacOS, I don’t know. Useless for windoze.

My use case revolves around being able to have workflows that are downstream of Google Drive files. I have a NAS server (Ubuntu) which I run and I use Google Drive as backup/pipeline solution. It’s a bit difficult to explain but as it stands, I have to have a GUI installed on that machine just for Insync. The problem is that every time I run into an error (what prompted this is that I’m getting an OS Error because one of my drives is full. The GUI fails silently and I had to physically walk into that room, connect a monitor, poke around etc. instead of being able to connect over a terminal like I normally do).

Install a distribution with a GUI solely to use Insync.

• What features/behavior would make Insync 3 headless better than Insync 1.5 headless?
    I didn’t use Insync 1.5 headless, I must have purchased after that was deprecated.

• Would you prefer to have Insync 3 headless as a separate product or integrated into the GUI?
    It might be nice if it was a separate product that was integrated with the GUI application. E.g. you could run the GUI if you had it on a machine but it still let you alter your settings from the command line. So on the machine I have it on now, I have a GUI so I could configure it that way but if I had an issue or wanted to change settings, I could SSH in. That would be in contrast to installing a separate product that I would have to use one or the other. That said, I would be fine with that approach as well.

• What platform(s) do you need Insync headless to work?
    Linux (Ubuntu)

1.5 headless is not deprecated and is the one we recommend you use for now

1. Backup personal gdrive on headless home server.
  2. Rclone. Works well enough, but have encountered incompatibilities between insync and rclone conversion of Google Docs to MS Office format, so it’s better to use the same product for desktop and server sync.
  3. Regular security updates and bug fixes would be a good thing.
  4. If the gui and headless functionality could be integrated, that would be good: but I could live with them remaining separate products.
  5. Linux: Latest Ubuntu LTS, CentOS release, Fedora.
  1. Syncing my Windows Subsystem for *nix Profile between Workstations.
  2. Currently I can do this using the windows Version of it, but Problem is Permissions get f*ed up each time it needs to update something. Don’t sync certain files that get executed automatically, on startup to reset the current Permissions.

Because I automate everything in my workstation, including initial setup with Ansible. Plus, I generally prefer setting up stuff with cli, which is extensible for automation.

Well, none!

I haven’t checked 1.5 headless features, but I would need a systemd service launched at statup with --user option.

Separate, I guess. The client / daemon architecture would fit nicely, with headless being just a second client. You would have an insyncd daemon launched by systemd in user land, an insync-headless to interact with the daemon through cli, and insync-gui or insync the GUI program.

• What platform(s) do you need Insync headless to work

Mainly Arch and Debian. Perhaps MacOs.

• I use it (several subscriptions on different accounts) to synchronize files on headless Linux servers to/from G-Drive for backups and automated updates between those Linux Servers (running Insync) and various Windows 10 desktops (running Google Backup & Sync and/or Google Drive File Steaming).
  • ​My ONLY use-case for Insync IS headless.
  • Google’s native products (Backup & Sync, and Drive File Streaming) don’t provide that.
  • Google’s native products (Backup & Sync, and Drive File Streaming) provide all OTHER functionality I really need EXCEPT headless.

• ​NONE, using very old version.​

• Just keep it updated, maintained, supported on latest operating systems, file-stream and any other target support, etc.

• ​Definitely no requirement for any GUI​ - i.e. remain TRULY “headless” where the only access is SSH and no GUI libraries, etc.

• ​Definitely “headless” for Ubuntu LTS - 16.x, 18.x and soon-to-be 20.x​
  • Likewise for Debian, SteamOS, etc.
  • Identical “headless” for Window Server 2016/2019 would also be helpful.
1 Like

If you can, kindly answer the following:

We have workflows that run on a headless server, relying on insync to retrieve / push documents to / from drive folders. Each drive folder has different system endpoints stacked behind them, so we use insync as the document retrieval functionality in a workflow stream the moves document files to different backend systems.

1. What is your workaround without Insync headless?

Another product.

1. What features/behavior would make Insync 3 headless better than Insync 1.5 headless?

Better reliability. insync-headless seems to ‘freeze’ and stop syncing rather often. We’ve written a series of cron jobs that attempt to keep it restarting fairly often but even then we have to manually restart it from time to time.

1. Would you prefer to have Insync 3 headless as a separate product or integrated into the GUI?

Separate product.

1. What platform(s) do you need Insync headless to work?

Linux (Ubuntu or Redhat preferred).

1 Like

I run my own “homeserver” and i have been using insync-headless from the start. use it to backup my familiy photos and selected shares. This feature is vital to me -and the main reason for “buying” insync in the beginning

So please keep it - and keep updating it.

1 Like
  • I run insync-headless on my NAS for each user to sync that user’s Google Drive to their home directory. That way it’s included in backups.
  • I support several family members remotely and it’s easier to interact with Insync on the command line over SSH than using screen sharing

running insync 1.5 :sob:

• support/updates and new features

Ideally the same product so there’s no drift in features/support
eg.

apt install insync3-headless
apt install insync3-gui

where both packages are built from the same source package

Linux - ideally Debian/Ubuntu & Docker

1 Like

In case feedback is still wanted.

I want to use Insync to sync some files to a headless linux server.

Using insync 1.5.7

Support for the new “shortcuts to drive” for shared files instead of the old way of “adding to my drive”. Currently I have to manually select the things to sync in my “shared with me” stream and this is a pain.

No GUI at all, no dependence on X11 packages.

• What platform(s) do you need Insync headless to work?

Linux (Unbuntu/Debian).

Possibly Mac if that prevents the annoying window that pops up all the time on my screen!

2 Likes
    I run linux server and need insync cli support

I am stuck with version 1.5

All version 3 features with future support, and with potential gdrive api update to break 1.5

Does not matter as long as there’s cli and linux service support

Ubuntu 18 and 20 server lts

I use Insync to synchronise (via Google Drive) my laptop and my server. I can update files on the server (e.g. running scripts to process documents) and have the output appear on the laptop. It also allows me to protect myself against stupidity (deleting contents of a file for example) by having an (rdiff-backup) versioned archive of the Google Drive contents.

I run it in a docker-compose container that uses “insync-headless accept_all_new_shares” to make sure everything is saved on the server.

1. What is your workaround without Insync headless?

Keep using the old version and pray that the Google API doesn’t change and cause it to break.

1. What features/behavior would make Insync 3 headless better than Insync 1.5 headless?

Nothing significant, although a simple docker container published on the docker hub would be nice. It could use docker-compose to provide (one or more) destination folders for each account and an easy way to sort out the authentication when initially installed.

Oh and a non-returning version (i.e. one that doesn’t fork from shell process) that copes with multiple accounts would be nice. My run script currently has to do this:

insync-headless accept_all_new_shares first@account.com
insync-headless accept_all_new_shares second@account.com
PID=$(pgrep insync-headless)
while [ -e /proc/${PID} ]
do
        sleep 5
done

It would be nicer if it was just:

insync-headless --accept-all-new-shares --all-accounts
  1. Would you prefer to have Insync 3 headless as a separate product or integrated into the GUI?

Separate product. I don’t want to have to install X libraries on the server.

1. What platform(s) do you need Insync headless to work?

Ubuntu server LTS probably, although any distribution that is available on docker hub would be fine as that can run inside Ubuntu server. My current container is based on phusion/baseimage:0.11.

It would be nice to have some feedback from Insync’s folks about this feature. I think this is a very important feature for a lot of person here and technically I don’t see how complicated that could be really.

we are internally testing insync 3 headless for (linux) servers so it’s coming. we will soon have a private beta – if you want to join, send email to support@insynchq.com with subject “insync 3 headless beta”. you must be willingly to test and provide bugs/feedback.

this will be a small group so space will be limited.

note: previous insync 1.x users will get 1 year free of insync 3 headless

cc @mia @jbec

2 Likes