High resolution/DPI causes app window to be too small/unreadable

No I haven’t used any tool it’s all the defaults that come with the environment.

@cvasilak: Do you mean that your display was scaled automatically? I didn’t encounter that in my test.

Hi lpugoy,

that’s correct, haven’t made any changes to any settings, my assumption is that HiDPI settings are honored in Gnome shell, but can be wrong.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thank you

@cvasilak: I see. Please try running the following commands:

• gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor
  • gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor
  • gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings Gdk/WindowScalingFactor

Hi @lpugoy

after playing with the HiDPI instructions as suggested in the Arch Wiki[1], somehow it got fixed and the application window is currently displaying correctly.

Thank you for your help!

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI

@cvasilak: Glad to know it worked for you. Let us know if you encounter any more issues.

I am having this issue to. New System 76 laptop with Ubuntu 18.04. The app window is so small it is unusable, regardless of the display settings I use.

1 Like

Running gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2 fixed it.

1 Like

App is again too small to be used on my laptop with a high resolution screen. Issue has return with latest update (v1.5.2). Previous gesettings trick no longer works.

Hey @seth,

Thanks for bringing this up. I’ll raise this issue with our engineer. :slight_smile:

I’m having the same issue. My laptop resolution is 3200x1800. Can’t use the utility at all!

Hey guys! :slight_smile: If you’re having issues with HiDPI scaling, please check this out: https://help.insynchq.com/installation-on-windows-linux-and-macos/getting-started-with-insync/linux-enabling-hidpi-setting

Thank you!

Setting QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1 before insync start didn’t help.

Also tried setting QT_SCALE_FACTOR, but nothing seems to affect the size of the app window.

See the image to understand the problem.

I’m having this problem with version 1.5.2-2. I’m on a HiDPI Dell XPS 9260. I run Arch using Cinnamon. The Insync window is the only part of my UI that has this problem, so a system-wide tweak is not applicable.

Tagging our engineer @Kurt_Ko for further assistance!

The instructions in that article don’t really mention how to apply the environment variable and make it stick.

A simple way is to directly edit the /usr/bin/insync script.

It should look like this:

#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/lib/insync
LC_TIME=C exec ./insync "$@"

You can insert the environment variable before the exec command.

LC_TIME=C QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1 exec ./insync "$@"
2 Likes

On Arch (or probably any system using systemd), I think the best way is to enable insync@your-user service, modify it to add QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1 variable and start:

sudo enable insync@your-user.service
sudo systemctl edit insync@your-user.service

add in the file:

[Service]
Environment=“QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1”

save and restart the service:

sudo systemctl restart insync@your-user.service

and it should work.

Obs: the edit will create:

/etc/systemd/system/insync@your-user.service.d/override.conf

and you can edit this file to adjust the value or add other variables later if needed.

Hello the scaling option in the preferences help (honestly could it be auto-detected?), but scaling needs 200-250% options!

1 Like

We’ll definitely look into giving bigger scaling options! :slight_smile: Thanks for letting us know about this!

+1 on what @mara said :slight_smile: More users have requested this and we’ve forwarded the feedback to our team so we can work towards its development :wink: