If Insync is involved in unexpected deletions of files on Drive web or on your computer, please report it to us right away for investigation and a fix.
Here’s how to 1) recover your files and 2) report the issue to Insync.
#Retrieve Your Files
On Drive web
The first place to search for missing files on Drive is in the Trash (or Bin). You may simply restore the items from the Trash on Drive web to recover them.
Insync does not delete your files on Drive permanently, and only moves them to the Trash. Files are only in danger of being permanently deleted if you clear your Drive Trash.
Some causes of unexpected trashing of files on Drive include:
- Deleting items that you have just selectively-unsynced. Currently, Insync syncs all changes in the Insync folder to Google Drive, which includes deletions (even of unsynced items). For now it would be best to wait and allow Insync to remove the unsynced items.
On your computer
When files are trashed, deleted, or unshared remotely (i.e., on Drive or on another computer syncing to Drive), Insync moves the deleted files into a hidden
IMPORTANT: Note that selectively-unsynced items are deleted right away instead of being moved to
.insync-trash. This is because the items remain on Drive anyway, and when selectively unsyncing items, it is assumed that you want to free up local disk space right away.
Viewing and accessing
.insync-trash is a hidden folder, you may not be able to see it right away.
There may be multiple
.insync-trash folders depending on your setup. You’ll find
.insync-trash in the main Insync folder, as well as in locations/folders outside of the Insync folder that you have synced (i.e. if you used the “Add to Insync” method)
Troubleshoot and Report to Insync
If you encounter this issue, please send an email to email@example.com containing:
- A description of what happened, and any prior actions before the issue occurred.
- Did the files get deleted on Drive, on your computer, or in both places?
- Are you running Insync on any other computers with the same account, or are you collaborating on the affected files with others that use Google Drive or Insync on their computers?
- Examples of unsolicited file deletions (complete file paths)
- Please also compress, upload, and share with us the following:
- The contents of the
dbsfolder, located in the same place as