Installing Insync 3 without root permissions

Is it possible to install Insync in one’s home directory without root privileges in order to sync folders in the home directory? This was asked here for Insync 1.5 and a solution mentioned, but I could find anything relevant for Insync 3.

Hi! Let me consult our engineers regarding this. Did you mean installing it as a non-administrator?

Also - could you let me know your OS version? :slight_smile:

Thanks, Mia. Yes, I meant installing an a non-administrator.This would be on Ubuntu Linux 20.04.

1 Like

@dnarnold Apologies for the delay!

Per our Linux engineer: technically, a user could do that - but it’s not very straightforward to get a ‘complete’ finished install (aka Insync appearing in the application menu, tray icon image, etc). Basically, installing as non-admin requires more steps.

You can extract the installer to a folder and start insync by calling the insync executable in the folder. :slight_smile:

I tried that solution on Fedora Silverblue and it doesn’t work. the insync executable looks for files in /usr and a non-admin account doesn’t have the ability to move those files there.

Please create a Flatpak version of this program. That will fix this issue.

1 Like

I appreciate the update, and my apologies for the trouble! I have forwarded the +1 re: Flatpak request to our Product team :slight_smile:

1 Like