Insync 1.4.5 Not Syncing (Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit)

Upgraded to 1.4.5 this morning, and it’s having a few problems. Specifically, it starts up, the icon goes lit with a green tick to indicate connected and up-to-date, then goes dark to indicate offline, then lights up, then dark, then light, then dark, then it just stays like that with the occasional light-up until it’s restarted, at which point the fun begins again.

Installed from the official repository on Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit, fully up-to-date; everything was working fine prior to the 1.4.5 upgrade.

Looking at the logs, I was jumped directly from 1.3.24.36188 (working) to 1.4.5.37069 (not working). Relevant entries:

"{"message": "insync version: 1.4.5.37069", "params": []}"
"{"message": "client created <ideskmain.client.Client object at 0x7f6853b4d1d0>", "params": []}"
"{"message": "unix socket server thread start", "params": []}"
"{"message": "starting client", "params": []}"
"{"message": "LinuxFSWatcher._start", "params": []}"
"{"message": "Inotify loop enter", "params": []}"
"{"message": "Syncing %r.", "params": [["1xxxxxxxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxxx@googlemail.com", "Gareth Halfacree"]]}"
"{"message": "watch origin: /media/Data/Google Drive", "params": []}"
"{"message": "%r (%s) is now being synced.", "params": [["1xxxxxxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxxx@googlemail.com", "Gareth Halfacree"], "existing"]}"
"{"message": "No updater available.", "params": []}"
"{"message": "unix socket server thread stop", "params": []}"
"{"message": "unix socket server thread stop", "params": []}"
"{"message": "Uncaught error from %r", "params": ["<AnalyticsUploaderTask at 0x7f6853b2f730>"]}"
"{"message": "Stopping GD syncer...", "params": []}"
"{"message": "LinuxFSWatcher._stop", "params": []}"
"{"message": "GD syncer stopped.", "params": []}"
"{"message": "clean exit", "params": []}"
"{"message": "insync version: 1.4.5.37069", "params": []}"
"{"message": "client created <ideskmain.client.Client object at 0x7f84fc5f0410>", "params": []}"
"{"message": "unix socket server thread start", "params": []}"
"{"message": "starting client", "params": []}"
"{"message": "LinuxFSWatcher._start", "params": []}"
"{"message": "Inotify loop enter", "params": []}"
"{"message": "Syncing %r.", "params": [["1xxxxxxxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxxxxx@googlemail.com", "Gareth Halfacree"]]}"
"{"message": "%r (%s) is now being synced.", "params": [["1121xxxxxxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxxx@googlemail.com", "Gareth Halfacree"], "existing"]}"
"{"message": "unwatching /media/Data/Google Drive", "params": []}"
"{"message": "No updater available.", "params": []}"

Restarting Insync just repeats the log entries. No change.

Any clues what’s up?

2 Likes

Anybody? It’s still broken.

I reported a similar error and nothing too.

I emailed support two days ago, too: silence. Really disappointing; might see if I can track down a 1.3 .deb and downgrade.

EDIT:

Oh, joy: I can’t downgrade, reinstall, or remove Insync since the 1.4.5 upgrade. Lovely.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'insync' instead of './insync_1.3.24.36188-xenial_amd64.deb'
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
  insync
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 1 to downgrade, 0 to remove and 23 not to upgrade.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/76.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1,473 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 /home/blacklaw/Downloads/insync_1.3.24.36188-xenial_amd64.deb insync amd64 1.3.24.36188-xenial [76.1 MB]
(Reading database ... 409963 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../insync_1.3.24.36188-xenial_amd64.deb ...
Terminated
blacklaw@trioptimum:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: error processing package insync (--configure):
 package is in a very bad inconsistent state; you should
 reinstall it before attempting configuration
Errors were encountered while processing:
 insync
blacklaw@trioptimum:~/Downloads$ sudo apt remove insync
Building dependency tree
The following packages will be REMOVED
  insync
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 1 to remove and 23 not to upgrade.
After this operation, 217 MB disk space will be freed.
dpkg: error processing package insync (--remove):
 reinstall it before attempting a removal
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
blacklaw@trioptimum:~/Downloads$ sudo apt install insync
Building dependency tree
insync is already the newest version (1.4.5.37069-xenial).
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 23 not to upgrade.
Need to get 77.6 MB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://apt.insynchq.com/ubuntu xenial/non-free amd64 insync amd64 1.4.5.37069-xenial [77.6 MB]
Fetched 77.6 MB in 10s (7,523 kB/s)
dpkg: error processing package insync (--configure):
 reinstall it before attempting configuration
Errors were encountered while processing:
 insync
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So, what now? As far as I can see, 1.4.5 is utterly hosed, I can’t downgrade it, there’s no upgrade, I can’t uninstall it… Cheers for this, Insync.

Hi @Gareth_Halfacree @orionx,

Sorry for the delayed response! Could you email your logs to support@insynchq.com?

Alternatively @Gareth_Halfacree-- you can refer to this post to downgrade to 1.3.24 while we investigate your case.

Hi @mia.

As above, I emailed Support with the full logs two days ago. I’ve had zero response.

Also as above, I’ve attempted to downgrade to 1.3.24 using the last-known-good .deb package from your repository, and I can’t: 1.4.5 is totally hosed. I can’t downgrade it, upgrade it, reinstall it, or uninstall it.

Which is, y’know, a little bit of a problem.

EDIT:

Thankfully, I’ve been able to downgrade using dpkg rather than apt, so I’m now back on 1.3.24 and it’s working absolutely fine. I’ve put the package on hold, and see no real reason to remove said hold until 1.3.24 stops working altogether - I’ve seen the future in the form of 1.4.5, and I want no part of it!

1 Like

Also having the same issue, flipping between synced and offline
$ insync get_status
$ insync get_status
SYNCED
$ insync get_status

I reverted to an old version in the meantime here, installed with dpkg https://d2t3ff60b2tol4.cloudfront.net/builds/insync-headless_1.3.16.36155-xenial_amd64.deb

Still nothing from support on this, by the way. Boo-urns.

Some progress: I’ve finally heard back from support via email, and have provided my full log database which will apparently be forwarded to InSync’s Linux engineer.

I’ll post back if I hear anything more.

Hi @mia , very similar problem here, I have updated to version 1.4.5 and the files don’t sync to my Ubuntu folder. I use Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit. The files sync only when I explicitly double click on them in the “Files” section of the iSync app. :-/

I see green check mark over the iSync logo all the time.

I don’t get it how such things cannot be covered with tests, it’s massive waste of time. :-/

Hi @Marko_Sarkanj,

Please right-click the empty space on your Insync window and select “Sync All Items”. Additionally, should you want new files to auto-sync, kindly go to FOLDER SETTINGS (found at the top menu) and enable “Sync new children of partial folders”.

Our 1.4’s Now@ feature allows you to sync your file on demand to gain more control over your files. These guides can help you further: Your guide to 1.4 (vs. 1.3) and Sync On Demand

Hi @mia,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I don’t think it’s ok to change the default behavior that way. And option named “Sync files automatically” would be much less missleading.

But thanks for the support anyway.

Best regards, Marko Sarkanj.

2 Likes

Received a reply via email:

Hello Gareth, I’m sorry for not getting back to you sooner, and for your bad experience with Insync 1.4.5 so far.
When you installed Insync 1.4.5, apart from the offline/online status switching, was no syncing activity at all being performed? When I looked at your logs, I didn’t see any serious errors, just some network errors that should usually be resolved after some time. So possibly it’s just an error in the “offline” status.
We will continue to try and replicate your issue, and will keep you updated.

My response:

As far as I could see, nothing was synchronising - but I have to admit I didn’t check by adding a new file locally and seeing if it appeared remotely.
I’d question whether it was a transitory network error, however: if that were the case, I would expect to see both 1.4.5 and 1.3.24 exhibiting the same issue - but only 1.4.5 was having difficulty with 1.3.24 connecting perfectly first time and staying connected.

I’ll post again as and when another reply is forthcoming.

Update, 20 days after opening the ticket and a full week after the last response from support: radio silence. 1.3.24 is still functioning as a workaround, and until that stops being the case I see no reason to ever install 1.4.5.

Hi! Sorry to keep you waiting. :frowning: Rest assured that our engineers are continuously working to improve version 1.4 for all our users. If there’s anything you need help with on your current version, just shoot us a message and we will assist you as best as we can.

Update: no update. No word from the Linux engineer. 1.4, as far as I’m aware, still broken.

@mia: Any news from your end? This ticket is over a month old now.

Still no word from the Linux engineer. Guess Linux users aren’t a priority for Insync, then.

Brief update from the Linux engineer:

I’m sorry to not have sent any updates and gotten back to you sooner. We are still trying to figure out this issue, as it does not happen reliably in our testing and Insync 1.4 continues to work properly on our Linux test machines.

Still no update here?
FFS, can you insync employees update these forum posts.
New users need to debug.

Hi @Jamie_Browning,

We usually recommend that people update to our latest build. In this case, it is 1.5.7, which you can download from www.insynchq.com/downloads :slight_smile: