Insync as Flatpak (Linux)

we are working on a snapcraft build first as the flatpak build was presenting us with issues that was taking too long to solve.

I understand the need to get something out there and why you’d want to work on a snap if it appears to be working better, but please don’t give up on a flatpak or even appimage version. There are some of us that don’t have snap enabled systems, either by preference or design.

Having said that, I’ve been overlaying Insync on my Fedora Silverblue system since flatpak hasn’t been available. It works well except I obviously won’t work when I am testing Fedora 37 because there is no Insync repo for Fedora 37 yet.

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to the flatpak. I’m afraid I don’t run an Ubuntu based system, and I can’t really install a snap. Flatpak is really the only universal package.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you.

1 Like

Would be great to use InSync Flatpak on Steam Deck! I sync all my masters course material with InSync. It would also be great to be able to backup my game save files as well.

hello all.

update: we tried both flatpak and snapcraft builds but we were facing issues related to our use of Qt, among other things.

after spending months on this project, we have decided to shelf it for now so we can put more resources on bug fixing and reliability.

we will revisit in the future, perhaps with appimage.

insync works on both debian (ubuntu, etc.) and fedora (redhat, etc.) based distros so if you are having issues with installing/running insync on them, please email support@insynchq.com.

thanks!

I’m disappointed by this… how can we install insync on steam deck? thanks

Can we help somehow with the flatpak build? What’s the problem exactly? There’s also a matrix chat room, if you would like to reach out directly.

Repackaging the .deb or .rpm is also possible, but not the preferable solution, as you would loose ARM support.

1 Like

Can you please go ahead and create a Fedora 37 repo then? It will be coming out this month and several developers are already running 37. Thank you.

1 Like

Agree with @Jason_Lee. I have said it before, but when Fedora, Ubuntu, or Mint release a beta, Insync needs to set up the appropriate repository so that it’s ready when the official release date happens. This also allows people to help you find issues before the official release date.

I appreciate it that you’ve done this with Debian Testing. Fedora 37 is probably getting released in 10 days; Ubuntu 22.10 is coming out this month also.

@reis @Jason_Lee Thank you for reminding us to stay aligned with the releases. We appreciate it :pray:

Our Linux team has created a test build for Fedora 37 and Ubuntu 22.10. Would you like to give it a try?

Hi @terpua, so what is wrong with the initial work for a flatpak as suggested in this post by @tinywrkb on Oct 2021? He has laid out all the necessary steps needed for a working flatpak

@kusi Hey! We appreciate the redirect :slight_smile: I’ve forwarded this to our engineers and will be revisiting Flatpak/Snapcraft accordingly.

Yes, I’m certainly willing to be a tester. Is there a repo that will be populated by installing the Fedora 37 rpm so it does not block our other updates?

I will check with our engineer @Jason_Lee :slight_smile: I’ll update you here!

1 Like

Usually, insync rpms for Fedora N work on Fedora N+1. Manually overriding $releasever in /etc/yum.repos.d/insync.repo around Fedora release time has become a routine for me. Forgetting to readjust too, somewhat …

Since the insync rpm brings 300M of bundled libraries with it (yikes) it is unlikely to break with Fedora updates. Given this, Fedora beta freeze should be a safe date to build an rpm in advance of the release. Also, given that baggage, a flatpak may actually be smaller (due to runtime reuse by other flatpaks).

1 Like

Hello Insync Team,

Just wanted to check if Flatpak app for Insync is still under consideration or it has been drooped from plan?
This is almost 5 years old thread we still don’t know about any progress on this.

Hi All,

Another one here just waiting for Insync on Steam Deck

I am still hopeful that the technical challenges can be worked out on the Flatpak front. Whatever extra development efforts need to go into this on the front end of a Flatpak version would surely be made up for on the back end, because Insync would then be freed to only produce one package that would work on any and all Linux distros: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Arch, and even the immutable desktops like the Steam Deck and Fedora Silverblue. I know QT was sighted as a challenge above, but there are a lot of QT based Flatpaks up on Flathub.org, so it seems within the realm of possibilities.

1 Like

Long time Insync user on Linux.

For what it is worth, supporting Flatpak would be my number one wish as well and I hope the technicalities are overcome.

It would be a clear benefit to the developers to focus on Flatpak instead of building so many different versions. More stable as well since insync’s dependencies won’t change if I update my distro.

I won’t have to build from the AUR on Manjaro. I won’t have to seek out rpm’s on Fedora and just auto update just like almost everything else on my system.

Yes there are snaps and app images but… flathub has basically come out on top.

Snaps are slow and proprietary and many in the Linux community have rejected them. App images are great for portability but often do not auto update and have other issues with system integration.

Pretty please. :slight_smile:

3 Likes