Insync for Ubuntu 24.04

We will update this thread when the Ubuntu 24.04 (Noble) build is ready. Thank you all for your patience!

To be clear this is with 23.10 with current updates, it is not the dev 24.04
Not sure why it calls itself noble

1 Like

Hey @Jody_G!

Hmm, let me check with our Linux Team why it says noble even if your OS is still on mantic.

@mia

That output (`lsb_release -c) is from Ubuntu and is not related to insync. Since the 24.04 (dev) was built from the 23.10, they (Ubuntu developers) may change the codename directly once they switch the development from 23.10 to 24.04.

1 Like

I reviewed the laptop that was tested and realized that it actually is noble. It was accidentally upgraded from 23.04 to the dev tree of 24.04 rather than 23.10.

A backtrace doesn’t turn up much
(gdb) bt
#0 __pthread_kill_implementation (no_tid=0, signo=5, threadid=) at ./nptl/pthread_kill.c:44
#1 __pthread_kill_internal (signo=5, threadid=) at ./nptl/pthread_kill.c:78
#2 __GI___pthread_kill (threadid=, signo=signo@entry=5) at ./nptl/pthread_kill.c:89
#3 0x00007ffff7c42856 in __GI_raise (sig=5) at …/sysdeps/posix/raise.c:26
#4 0x000055555555a213 in ?? ()
#5 0x000055555555815d in ?? ()
#6 0x00007ffff7c280d0 in __libc_start_call_main (main=main@entry=0x5555555564d0, argc=argc@entry=3, argv=argv@entry=0x7fffffffe3e8) at …/sysdeps/nptl/libc_start_call_main.h:58
#7 0x00007ffff7c28189 in __libc_start_main_impl (main=0x5555555564d0, argc=3, argv=0x7fffffffe3e8, init=, fini=, rtld_fini=,
stack_end=0x7fffffffe3d8) at …/csu/libc-start.c:360
#8 0x000055555555650a in ?? ()

1 Like

A solution was proposed in Insync 3.8.7.50516 (manic) - FATAL:credentials.cc(120)] : Access denied (13)

Confirmed: The apparmor config changes restore functionality on the latop running noble with updates as of Feb-21

1 Like

I confirmed it works on Ubuntu 24.04, solving my problems above.

1 Like

Hello! I’m following up with our Linux Team so we can check what happened prior and deploy the necessary fixes so that workarounds shall not be needed moving forward.

Thank you!

Hi @Jody_G @bagus

We have an updated build for Ubuntu 24.04. Please update all system packages first before installing the build
Let us know if it has issues for you

2 Likes

@Kurt_Ko
Confirmed it works without any issue on Ubuntu 24.04 dev version per upgrade today (2024/02/24)

2 Likes

Just installed the 24.04 Beta today and the latest insync is showing the original error from the top of the post. Installs, but immediately crashes when I start the application. Don’t know if latest updates from Ubuntu have broken it. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Hi @Iain_Hamilton!

Could you try to check your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/insync.list file and make sure it’s updated based on your distribution? In this case, it should be noble. Let me know!

Greetings -

Just updated to Ubuntu24.04 LTS (noble) and insync won’t start… It’s barfing when attempting to load ‘xcb’.

Here’s the output from the:

insync start --no-daemon

command:

insync start --no-daemon
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

Just fixed the above (issue with xcb), by installing libxcb using:
sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0

Everything now appears to work

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I will be sending this report + updates to our engineers to prevent such issues from happening moving forward.

Hi @fuzing

From which Ubuntu distro did you upgrade from? Just for clarification, you upgraded to Ubuntu 24.04 after it was released (I think around Apr 26)?

This resolved my issue also

Hi Kurt (@Kurt_Ko) -

This was a fresh install of Ubuntu 24.04 from the official ISO, from the day that 24.04 was officially released as LTS (April 25th, 2024)… this was NOT from any of the earlier betas, and was not an upgrade from 22.04.

I hope this helps/clarifies,

Regards,

Peter B. (@fuzing)

1 Like

Hi @fuzing

Are there other configuration changes you’ve made upon installing? I’m unfortunately unable to replicate this issue on a fresh install of Ubuntu 24.04

1 Like

@Kurt_Ko

I usually perform a minimal install, so this likely excludes the installation of libraries that insync depends on.

The initial message from insync, i.e. ‘Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.’
threw me a little, because xcb was definitely not installed at that point.

But the issue is fixed now, with the installation of libxcb-xinerama0

perhaps there is a way for you to check that this is installed, or to include this as a local library within insync (for linux),

Thank you for your assistance,

Peter B.

1 Like