Insync for Ubuntu 24.04

@Kurt_Ko
Confirmed it works without any issue on Ubuntu 24.04 dev version per upgrade today (2024/02/24)

2 Likes

Just installed the 24.04 Beta today and the latest insync is showing the original error from the top of the post. Installs, but immediately crashes when I start the application. Don’t know if latest updates from Ubuntu have broken it. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Hi @Iain_Hamilton!

Could you try to check your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/insync.list file and make sure it’s updated based on your distribution? In this case, it should be noble. Let me know!

Greetings -

Just updated to Ubuntu24.04 LTS (noble) and insync won’t start… It’s barfing when attempting to load ‘xcb’.

Here’s the output from the:

insync start --no-daemon

command:

insync start --no-daemon
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

Just fixed the above (issue with xcb), by installing libxcb using:
sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0

Everything now appears to work

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I will be sending this report + updates to our engineers to prevent such issues from happening moving forward.

Hi @fuzing

From which Ubuntu distro did you upgrade from? Just for clarification, you upgraded to Ubuntu 24.04 after it was released (I think around Apr 26)?

This resolved my issue also

Hi Kurt (@Kurt_Ko) -

This was a fresh install of Ubuntu 24.04 from the official ISO, from the day that 24.04 was officially released as LTS (April 25th, 2024)… this was NOT from any of the earlier betas, and was not an upgrade from 22.04.

I hope this helps/clarifies,

Regards,

Peter B. (@fuzing)

1 Like

Hi @fuzing

Are there other configuration changes you’ve made upon installing? I’m unfortunately unable to replicate this issue on a fresh install of Ubuntu 24.04

1 Like

@Kurt_Ko

I usually perform a minimal install, so this likely excludes the installation of libraries that insync depends on.

The initial message from insync, i.e. ‘Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.’
threw me a little, because xcb was definitely not installed at that point.

But the issue is fixed now, with the installation of libxcb-xinerama0

perhaps there is a way for you to check that this is installed, or to include this as a local library within insync (for linux),

Thank you for your assistance,

Peter B.

1 Like

I am watching this thread as I had exactly the same issues as @Kurt_Ko and the libxcb-xinerama0 install helped, however, I also experience terribly slow application loading times (all applications) on initial Gnome startup when Insync is installed; I mean when the desktop starts up and I click, say, terminal in my dock it is minutes before it starts up the first time.

Purging insync makes that problem go away

@fuzing Hi Peter, sending this to Kurt for his reference :slight_smile: Thank you very much!

Hi @PhilWillG! Apologies for the issues, and glad to hear that the libxcb-xinerama0 installation helped.

As for Insync slowing down all apps on initial startup, could you let me know if there are a lot of files in the cloud and/or synced locally? Furthermore, is Insync syncing to a local drive or an external/network drive?

Hi, there is not a huge amount of data to sync, less than a Gb and all of them sync to a local drive on my Ubuntu PC.

The slow startup is so hard to pin down, sometimes it works fine but at other times it is a number of seconds before an application will launch. I have no reason to blame Insync other than when Insync is not installed, it never happens

1 Like

Hi @PhilWillG! When the slow startup happens again, please do share your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post. Those 2 files can be found in ~/.config/Insync. :slight_smile: Thank you!

Hi @PhilWillG

Just to confirm, do you also experience this issue when using the previous version v3.8.7?

i have just sent you those files - I saw the issue at 11:29 local (PC) time (BST)

This is a clean install of 24.04 and the .deb from your site

I did not see it on 22.04 using its .deb

I don’t think I have ever used v3.8.7

Hi @PhilWillG,

Received your log files and will be forwarding this to our engineer for further investigation!