Is this beta software..? Icon intermittent in task bar, add account doesn't work... and other issues

So many problems with this software that I’m not sure I will spend anymore time trying to use it.

Running Debian 8 with Gnome 3.14.1

1. Application Icon intermittently appears in topbar/taskbar
  2. Initial account failed to sync initial google drive test folder content; apparently because the files started with a period (they were generated file names) - once I renamed them the sync worked
  3. Despite selecting nautilus extension during setup the extensions are not present
  4. Tried adding another Google Account… takes me through the setup but never syncs the account and it never shows up in the application settings…no errors in the application error window…? Note that for the additional account I am specifying a symbolic link as the local sync root folder. Not sure if this matters but the application does not indicate a problem.

I would have expected issues if you honestly called this beta software. I have burned several hours trouble shooting this and I can’t at this point imagine buying it after the trial. There is a clear reliance on your users to test your product. Test if yourself don’t waste my time.

Hi @Craig_Hawkins this is not beta software, I will be tagging our engineer @lpugoy and he will get back to you regarding this issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience :smile:

Fixed: “Tried adding another Google Account… takes me through the setup but never syncs the account and it never shows up in the application settings…no errors in the application error window…? Note that for the additional account I am specifying a symbolic link as the local sync root folder. Not sure if this matters but the application does not indicate a problem.”

I tried this again, but when prompted for a local synch root location I browsed to the /mnt subfolder directly and used the Insync provided default folder name (the google account email address) and was able to add the second account (this was after the first account was removed - though I don’t think this is related to the solution). Is the default folder name supposed to be required - if so it should indicate this? Note I use SQLite to the query the log file and the add account was producing an error but the message was useless and the call stack no good to me. Not sure if it didn’t like the symbolic link or not using the default folder name.

I had another problem today where when a file was renamed locally it did not sync up to google drive. I tried syncing a name change down from google drive and this did work. I restart insync and tried to rename locally a second time and it synched up to the drive.

I just had a failure again to sync a local file name change upto drive. I had to restart insync for it to sync the change. How long is the delay supposed to be… perhaps I didn’t wait long enough. I waited a minute or two.

@Craig_Hawkins: Insync currently errors when using a symbolic link as the local sync root folder. The default name is not required. We have this in our TODOs but we haven’t worked on it yet. Apologies for the trouble.

For the file not syncing, did the Insync tray icon show a blue circle? That means that Insync was performing other tasks first, so the file was not synced right away. How long was the delay?

For the application icon appearing in topbar/taskbar, are you not using TopIcons (https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/495/topicons/)?

For the Nautilus extension, were they installed? You could confirm by running dpkg -l 'insync*'. If they are installed please try restarting Nautilus for the extension to take effect.

For the other issues please send your logs to support@insynchq.com: How to find the log files.

Ran apt-get install insync-nautilus
Extension is now working