New Insync version: 3.0.16

Release notes:

• Change behavior of synced files that are remotely deleted or unshared with you to be moved to Trash / Recycle Bin instead of directly deleted from the filesystem
  • Fix descendants of a folder not syncing when selectively synced in some cases
  • Update Account Settings layout
  • Linux: Fix issue where add account does not work in KDE
  • Linux: Add CLI commands to show/hide the app window
  • Linux: Prevent multiple instances of Insync to be created
  • Fix Tutorial Orbs overlapping with the Progress overlay
  • Fix progress bar sometimes overextending
  • Update Tutorial Orbs behavior and style
  • Improve truncation of the logs database

Windows 7 and later
macOS 10.10 (Yosemite and later)

Ubuntu (16.04 Xenial) & (18.04 Bionic)
Linux Mint (18.x) & (19.x)
Debian (8 Jessie) , (9 Stretch) & (10 Buster)
Fedora (27) , (28) , (29) & (30)

Nautilus plugin (deb) & (rpm)
Caja plugin (deb) & (rpm)
Nemo plugin (deb) & (rpm)

Sadly fails to install on Ubuntu 19.04

sudo dpkg -i ./insync_3.0.16.40306-bionic_amd64.deb 
(Reading database ... 474592 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../insync_3.0.16.40306-bionic_amd64.deb ...
Terminated

Thanks for including the output, @wolfi! I’ve escalated this to our Linux team and will update you what steps to take next.

When Insync 3.0.15 is still running (Ubuntu 19.04)

~/Dropbox/Linux/Insync$ sudo dpkg -i ./insync_3.0.16.40306-bionic_amd64.deb
[sudo] password for rinus:
(Reading database … 201598 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/insync_3.0.16.40306-bionic_amd64.deb …
/var/lib/dpkg/info/insync.prerm: 12: [: /tmp/insync1000: unexpected operator
pgrep: only one pattern can be provided
Try `pgrep --help’ for more information.
Unpacking insync (3.0.16.40306-bionic) over (3.0.15.40277-bionic) …
Setting up insync (3.0.16.40306-bionic) …
Warning: The postinst maintainerscript of the package insync
Warning: seems to use apt-key (provided by apt) without depending on gnupg or gnupg2.
Warning: This will BREAK in the future and should be fixed by the package maintainer(s).
Note: Check first if apt-key functionality is needed at all - it probably isn’t!
Warning: apt-key should not be used in scripts (called from postinst maintainerscript of the package insync)
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.dbEZH1ab5O/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys ACCAF35C
gpg: key A684470CACCAF35C: “Insynchq Inc services@insynchq.com” not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1
Insync installation has finished. You may now start it.

fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 1048576
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (1.10-1) …
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.32.0-1ubuntu1) …
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-4ubuntu1) …
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.3+18.04.20180207.2-0ubuntu1) …
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index…
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) …
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) …
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) …

Install succeeded.

Install succeeded, but now I’ve got the error Teams Trial expired…
I never had a teams trial, but I do have two Prime licenses, one for GDrive and the second for OneDrive.
On the OneDrive, I get the License error.
Removing that account and adding doesn’t help.

Please reconfigure your License types!

[edit]
@mia Mia, thanks for solving this in my account :kissing_heart:
[/edit]

The sign-in with Google & OneDrive buttons now work. However, it’s getting stuck on the Connecting to Insync part - where it’s supposed to redirect back to the Insync application and complete the sign-in process.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

1 Like

Thanks @Rinus_Leeuw… never would have thought of it but 3.0.15 must be running while installling 3.0.16 (I typically stop an older insync version before updating).

The following packages will be upgraded:
  insync
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 53 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/130 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1.057 kB disk space will be freed.
Get:1 /home/woha/Downloads/insync_3.0.16.40306-bionic_amd64.deb insync amd64 3.0.16.40306-bionic [130 MB]
(Reading database ... 313084 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../insync_3.0.16.40306-bionic_amd64.deb ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/insync.prerm: 12: [: /tmp/insync1000: unexpected operator
pgrep: only one pattern can be provided
Try `pgrep --help' for more information.
Unpacking insync (3.0.16.40306-bionic) over (3.0.15.40277-bionic) ...
Setting up insync (3.0.16.40306-bionic) ...
Warning: The postinst maintainerscript of the package insync
Warning: seems to use apt-key (provided by apt) without depending on gnupg or gnupg2.
Warning: This will BREAK in the future and should be fixed by the package maintainer(s).
Note: Check first if apt-key functionality is needed at all - it probably isn't!
Warning: apt-key should not be used in scripts (called from postinst maintainerscript of the package insync)
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.ZoqatYnbFg/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys ACCAF35C
gpg: key A684470CACCAF35C: "Insynchq Inc <services@insynchq.com>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1
Insync installation has finished. You may now start it.

I am also getting the pgrep warning but it does not seem to cause any failure.

Hi Doug,

We’re investigating this issue with OpenSUSE users getting stuck at Connecting to Insync. Can you run find / -name "ca-bundle.*" 2>/dev/null and send the output either here or to support@insynchq.com? Please include the link to this post when you email us.

Thank you!

Hi @Rinus_Leeuw,

Can you shoot me an email at support@insynchq.com? Please include the GD and OD account as well as the transaction details for the OD license. I’ll double-check this on my end.

Thank you!

@wolfi I normally do the same as you, I stop the application before installing/upgrading to a newer version, but this time I forgot to do it. I was really surprised it continues without the error of the application still running.

I’m sorry for the late reply!

Output of the find command:

/etc/ssl/ca-bundle.pem
/var/lib/ca-certificates/ca-bundle.pem
/usr/share/gwenhywfar/ca-bundle.crt

Just upgraded to 3.0.16 this morning and, upon starting, it immediately deleted hundreds of files inside one of my Team/Shared Drives, which contains critical company files.

When you restore items from trash in a Google Shared Drive, it restores to the top-level folder of the Shared Drive instead of restoring to the original location. So it will take me many hours to re-construct the original folder structure.

A very limited investigation has led me to believe that it may have been deleting files that have a duplicate existing in another Team/Shared Drive used for long-term backups.

This has been reported to support@insynchq.com.

Ouch! That sucks, man. I’m going to stay on good ol’ 1.5.7 for a while. Until things become stable again.

Regrettably, I upgraded to 3.0.16 through Ubuntu 18.04 software updater.

I would not have done it had I known that the conversion would entail a complete database re-sync of all my 100,000+ files comprising 93GB.

Apparently, the existing config data is completely ignored. I had to re-sign in to my Google Account and it’s basically building the config from scratch as if there was no existing config info (login credentials, database, etc.) at all.

This is the stupidest “update” of any software I’ve ever seen with no warning of just how long it might take.

I can’t imagine a reason for this primitive brute-force approach to an upgrade. I’m an early adopter and have been very happy with Insync for all these years. With this consumer-insensitive move, you’ve destroyed all confidence I had in your company and will seek an alternative.