New Insync version: 3.7.4

Release notes:

• Linux: Remove the use of apt-key in deb builds
  • Dropbox: fix issue with excessive memory usage when downloading files
  • Add .dropbox and .dropbox.attr files to list of files ignored by default

Windows 7 and later
macOS 10.13 (High Sierra and later)

Ubuntu (16.04 Xenial) , (18.04 Bionic) & (20.04 Focal)
Linux Mint (18.x) , (19.x) & (20.x)
Debian (8 Jessie) , (9 Stretch) & (10 Buster)
Fedora (27) , (28) , (29) & (30)

1 Like

Once this version is installed, it has forced me to go again through the steps of selecting which files and folders I want to sync between my OneDrive/Google Drive accounts, removing ALL THE PREVIOUS configuration. I have a very specific sync mapping between my drives and my cloud accounts that has been completely obliterated. This is the first InSync update that has done this and it will make me lose hours to rebuild the previous configuration. This is the way to do an update??? Really?

1 Like

Discussion and possible fix is here.

I cannot believe that this company pushed out an update that wrecks all their users carefully setup sync settings with ABSOLUTELY NO WARNING. Had I known I would be starting from scratch, I could have noted down my settings before running the update.

Nice job. Not.

Same here. I had a lot of custom configuration… What the hell, guys.

Hey Insync folks,

3.7.4 messed up my configs (or at least not referring the existing config files) - you should remove this update from the repositories IMMEDIATELY.

For everybody else, you can downgrade back down to 3.7.3 quite easily. Go to the following page:

Insync updated today (v3.7.4.50336) and created a new settings folder (lowercase insync) instead of using the existing folder (Insync with a capital “I”). This meant that Insync was asking me to set everything up again.

I was able to fix the issue by:

• Quit Insync (make sure it’s not running)
  • mv ~/.config/insync ~/.config/insync.old to rename the newly created settings folder
  • mv ~/.config/Insync ~/.config/insync to rename the existing settings folder
  • Restart Insync and everything seems to work as expected
2 Likes

Hello all! I responded to everyone’s concern regarding this very serious bug in the other thread: Lost settings & a couple of crashes after 3.7.4 upgrade

Please don’t hesitate to raise any further questions or concerns you may have.

I get the following error withe AUR package. Hopefully it is ok to post it here, as it is unofficial:

Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Checking insync dependencies...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Cloning insync build files...
Generating insync information...

Building insync...
==> Making package: insync 3.7.4.50336-1 (Thu 24 Mar 2022 08:01:20 AM CET)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Downloading insync_3.7.4.50336-buster_amd64.deb...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                             Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 403
==> ERROR: Failure while downloading https://d2t3ff60b2tol4.cloudfront.net/builds/insync_3.7.4.50336-buster_amd64.deb
Aborting...
Failed to build insync

Preparing...

Building insync...
==> Making package: insync 3.7.4.50336-1 (Thu 24 Mar 2022 08:02:59 AM CET)

==> ERROR: Failure while downloading https://d2t3ff60b2tol4.cloudfront.net/builds/insync_3.7.4.50336-buster_amd64.deb
Aborting...
Failed to build insync

Preparing...
Refreshing AUR...

Building insync...
==> Making package: insync 3.7.4.50336-1 (Thu 24 Mar 2022 08:08:56 AM CET)

Aborting...
Failed to build insync

Thanks for your official statement (Lost settings & a couple of crashes after 3.7.4 upgrade). Unfortunately, I can’t reply in that thread since I already made 3 comments. So I am gonna answer here:

Most people (like myself) now have to different config folders maybe with different configs and synced folders. I for example have stopped syncing with some folders after the update to have more local space. If you now would deploy an update that would simply “reactivate” my old config folder, this would lead to the deletion of the unsynced folders on my cloud, since I have the option “sync deletions in the cloud, if files/folder are deleted manually when insync is turned of” activated in my old config. Please be aware of that before deploying an update. I think it would be safest to delete the Insync config (with capital I) when 3.7.4 is installed to avoid that. Do you agree?

Hi @gernophil,

Let me check that out with our engineers so they are aware of this situation!

Hey @m0nKeY!

We rolled back 3.7.4 due to this: Lost settings & a couple of crashes after 3.7.4 upgrade

It’s best not to go further and stay on your current version while we sort this out for our users :slight_smile:

Hello again, @gernophil!

Posting my email reply here for everyone’s reference. This is for users who have reconfigured their Insync setup after updating to 3.7.4, meaning they started from scratch instead of doing the workaround:

Granted that the ~/.config/insync folder (small “i”) is the one that 3.7.4 is using now after you reconfigured things manually, what I’m understanding is that the current Insync setup you have is the most updated one. If that’s the case, here’s what our engineer said:

You can safely delete the ~/.config/Insync (capital “I”) if this folder is no longer in use. Once 3.7.5 is rolled out, Insync will automatically rename ~/.config/insync back to ~/.config/Insync while retaining all of your current settings.

1 Like

Hey @mia,

thanks for the workaround. I can confirm that it works. Anyway the Insync (capital “I”) folder is recreated upon startup an the “out.txt” is created inside of it. There also is an “out.txt” in die insync (lowercase “i”) folder, but this is 0 bytes in size. Maybe that’s also important for your engineers :).

However, I don’t think everyone that is running 3.7.4 is aware of that workaround. So maybe you should integrate an automated check in the update if 3.7.4 in installed and which is the current setting and then automatically delete the other config folder.

1 Like

Note, if you’ve gone to the “new user login” screen it seems that even downgrading to 3.7.3 doesn’t help. I just tried that and am now getting a “that didn’t work” error from google when trying to authenticate the account. Totally fubar here, I need to go back up my Google drive just in case the next well-tested Insync update decides to wipe everything…

1 Like

Hello @ekalfwonS! Could you walk me through the steps you took to downgrade to 3.7.3? We’d like to check it out and replicate the error you bumped into and investigate this further.

Thanks for the feedback! Let me forward this to our engineers so we are certain to cover all bases and use cases before making the next version public. :slight_smile:

sudo apt uninstall insync (was 3.7.4.something)
sudo apt install insync_3.7.3.50326-impish_amd64.deb (downloaded from insynchq.com yesterday)

I get to the “insync wants access to the following…” and when I approve, I get an error page “something went wrong there, try again” in Chrome.

Update: Using the “alternate login method” worked. I’m back in and syncing with 3.7.3, but I had to set up the folders again. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to scan my entire GDrive and get up to date.

1 Like