Out of memory: memory leakage?

v3.0.27.40677, MacOS Catalina, two different computers.
GDrive + OneDrive
Occasionally, the Macs run out of memory. Insync has has blocked all available memory and swap file. Looks like a memory leakage problem.
Quitting and restarting removes the problem until a couple of days/a week later when it appears again.
Did not happen with GDrive alone, added OneDrive about two months ago, but Insync has also been updated since then.

3 Likes

Hi @tedde59,

This is a known issue that our engineers are looking into. Do you mind confirming if you have a large sync ongoing at the time this memory leak occurred? Please also send your logs.db and out.txt files, and send it to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post. :slight_smile:

Having the same issue (same version)- just synching GDrive. Don’t think there was a large sync when this started but hopefully logs will tell. Will send email to support and reference this forum posting as suggested by @mia

1 Like

I am having a similar issue with Insync on Linux Mint 19.3. I am running the same version as OP. I am in the process of doing the first sync of my Onedrive, which is about 35GB. It appears to be "QtWebEngineProcess --type=renderer … " that is actually using most of the memory. My system has 4GB of RAM, and Qt was using 1.9GB of it before the swap file kicked in and started slowing everything down. Closing Insync closed QtWebEngineProcess with it and RAM was once again freed.

I can try and provide log files etc if someone is willing to explain where I might find them.

Edit: Got the correct name of the process that is using RAM.

Hi @wittsend,

Could you send your logs to support@insynchq.com so we can look into this further? This is to check if it’s related to the memory leak that MacOS users reported previously.

Thank you!

What is the status in this?
I have sent you several log files, and I have downloaded each new version (currently build 40765) to my three Macs, which sync both Google and OneDrive together with two Linux machines. After a few days, syncing files that are updated during normal work, the Mac activity control will show several GB of memory occupied by Insync and will eventually halt the Mac computers when all memory is consumed. So I restart Insync with a few days in between on all three Mac machines and keep it going that way.
I think this has been an issue already since the release of Insync 3. Insync 1 did not have this issue.

Hi @tedde59,

Thank you for following this up with me. I’ve escalated this to our engineers since this was supposed to be fixed in 3.0.29. I’ve received a similar report as well and will update you accordingly.

Do you notice this memory spike when Insync 3.1.1 is on the Activity Feed tab, or does it happen even if the app is running in the background?

Hi,
thanks for the feedback.

My impression is that it is building up when the app is running in the background. If I do not change the files so much (=> not much syncing activity), the memory stays low, but it will build up after a few days. More syncing, faster build up, is my impression.

/Ted

Gotcha, this is really helpful for our investigation. :slight_smile: Thank you so much!

Keep safe!

I am having the same problem with Insync version 3.1.1.40756 and MacOS 10.15.4
The memory usage increases even if there is no syncing ongoing (i.e. I did not change any file in the gdrive folder). After a couple of days the memory locked by Insync is >5 GB and it keeps increasing.
I usually have to restart Insync periodically to mitigate the problem

Hi @bagl0312,

Can you send your logs to support@insynchq.com as well? We are working on implementing another fix in an upcoming build. :slight_smile:

Also the last version 3.1.2 seems to have the same memory leak problem

When will this be fixed? Currently the only reason why I did not buy insync. Can’t have 25% of RAM occupied by an idle tool

v 3.1.8.40816 using 6,8GB memory

Hi @malte,

We will update our users when a fix is available. In the meantime, could you send your logs to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post?

Forget it, it has been an issue since version 3 was released and they obviously are not able to fix it.

Ohh dear. This has been here since January and seems it still a problem. Consuming 6GB is really bad.

So version 3.x is still not usable?

This is an ongoing issue that InSync just seem to ignore. My process is up to 5.5G and I rebooted a week ago.

I have this issue as well and it’s consistently slowing down my computer. How have people been working around this? Considering moving off to an alternative like Google Drive’s backup and sync desktop app.

Hi! One of the most common workarounds is to restart your computer and/or Insync if it’s been running for quite some time. This is still in the works and we really appreciate your patience! We’ll let you guys know as soon as this has been fixed.