Receiving error message: "Cannot Process X - file not found"

Running inSync (1.2.11) on Linux Mint and after reorganizing some directories I received the above error. The files were not loaded to Google Drive and I manually moved them directly to Google Drive but the error messages still remain.

Anyway to stop the error messages.

Hi @Thomas_McCool I will tag our engineer @lpugoy so he can answer for us. We want to help so please send in your log files (How to find the log files) to so we can investigate further. Thank you!

I will send in the log files

I was able to clear the error messages by changing the suffix of the 4 files involved. If I reverted them back to the original suffix (ex: .doc or .xlsb) and then put them back as gddoc and gdsheet - that appeared to solve the issue locally and the error messages I was receiving disappear. Not sure what really happening but did send in the logs to see if that helps with the analysis.

I had a few hundred of these errors nested deeply in folder structures. Which made it impractical to rename by hand.

I wrote a small python script that changes the file extension to something else. I’d wait for it to sync the changed files, then rename them back. In this way I was able to rename them all in just a few minutes. Here is the script, You will need to change parts to make it relevant to your situation and the particular errors you are getting.

import os, os.path

DIR = '/home/me/'
OLD_EXT = '.gdmap'
NEW_EXT = '.gdmap1'

for root, dirs, files in os.walk(DIR):
    for file in files:
        if file.lower().endswith(OLD_EXT):
            base_file, ext = os.path.splitext(file)
            new_filename = os.path.join(root, base_file + NEW_EXT)
            os.rename(os.path.join(root, file), new_filename)

Change DIR to your isync directory, change OLD_EXT to one of the extensions you are having issues with, and change NEW_EXT to a temporary extension I just added 1 to the end.

Save the file as a python file and run it. For example if you called the file you would run it like this:


You will need python 3 installed, or the script is pretty easy to modify to run on 2.* variants of python.

This will output to your terminal all the files it is changing. Like I said run it, let it sync. A bunch of your errors should go away, then swap OLD_EXT and NEW_EXT so it is looking for your renamed file extensions and have it change them back.

Worked very well for me. Good luck!