Renaming Folders and Files in 3.0 vs 1.5

Email I received from @mia yesterday to keep anyone else in the loop who’s having this issue:

Thanks for clarifying, Sean!

I just tested this now and was able to replicate it with a folder. I also tried it with a file but this renamed as expected, and the issue doesn’t seem to happen with OneDrive so it might be exclusive to Google Drive. I’ve created a full report and sent this to our engineers for investigation.

And a suggestion: If possible, it would be helpful to repost your email responses here so that everyone is on the same page (unless we’re discussing sensitive info of course). I’m sure there’s a method to the madness but spreading this conversation across forums and emails makes it harder to keep track of what’s going on and makes it look like nothing is happening when I’m sure you guys are working hard to get these issues fixed.

1 Like

@mia any updates on this?

Still happening with v3.1.3… deletes and uploads everything

Hi @moeschl @fluizao, just confirming if this is still happening after updating to 3.1.2 and 3.1.3?

HI @mia,
I can confirm this is still happening with 3.1.3.40790.
I am still on Linux Mint 19.3.

@mia, yes, still happening.

Gotcha, thank you guys for updating!

I just tested it again now with the 3.1.4 version. A local rename to a file or folder works as expected. I can also confirm this correct behavior via the Google Activity Feed.

@moeschl @fluizao @dimbulb1024 could you update to the latest version, and let me know here if the deletion-upload behavior persists?

@mia, I tested with 3.1.4 and the problem persists…

Very frustrating…

@mia, I’ve filtered events from today, (logs table of logs.db) and exported to CSV, and sent to support@insynchq.com, hope it helps to identify the problem.

Hi @fluizao,

Just to confirm-- is it uploading a new folder wherein you end up with two copies, one 060-PBJ-1H and Orlik 060-PBJ-1H as reported by @moeschl? Or does this only happen up as an Activity Feed entry but you only have the latter copy in Drive web?

Hi @mia ,

I dont have two duplicate folders. It just uploads a new folder, and delete the old one.

1 Like

Hi @mia,

Any news on this?

Hi @fluizao,

We investigated the incorrect activity generated by Insync on the app, and it seems to be related to moving a file or folder, such that it generates a delete-upload. Since it’s possibly related, I will send the 3.1.5 build here as soon as it’s released.

Then please try that out for me to see how it goes.

Thank you!

@mia, I tested today with 3.1.5, and the problem still persists :frowning:

However, I noticed that if a rename the folder back, Insync can now rename in GDrive. I dont know if this is the cause, since I dont know how Insync works internally, but I think my local database have the wrong reference of the remote file (some kind of GID?). After it renames, now it knows the correct reference, and then can perform a rename correctly.

I will send the logs of that events to the support.

1 Like

@fluizao Thank you for testing it and providing the feedback! Let me know once you’ve sent the logs over. :slight_smile:

@mia logs sent yesterday. I think I’ve tracked down the issue, the local insync database dont have reference to the filesystem inodes. Full report sent by email.

1 Like

@mia, tested with v3.1.6 today, still happening… rename operation = delete + upload

:frowning:

@mia & fellow users,
Played around today with 2 folders and files and things seem to be working for me.
3.1.6.4088 - Linux Mint 19.3

Created a test folder “Insync Test” and then .txt, .odf and .pdf files along with a folder inside it. Renamed the files and folder and Insync renamed them. Moved the files in and out of the internal folder and Insync moved them.
Created a second test folder “Insync Test 2” outside the first and was able to move folders and files between them with Insync moving the them.
Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

I’ll update if I catch something not working right.

1 Like

@mia tested with v3.1.7, bug still present.

@dimbulb1024, for me, the problem don’t happens to newly created files and folders. If I create something, and than rename/move, the files are renamed/moved on the cloud. The problem is with files which are already synced, and after the migration to v3. I explained the problem to @mia and even how to fix it, but nothing so far…

@fluizao Ahhh yes you are correct. It’s strange cause once it deletes and uploads the renamed file it renames it without an issue from then on.