Sync, but don't store it on my harddrive

Hi there,

So as Google apps for works user I have unlimited amount of space on the Drive. Now the amount on the Drive is exceeding my Harddrive storage capacity. In addition, I have 4 more accounts (and licenses) so the combined amount of all files by the accounts exceeds well over 500 GB at the moment and climbing by 1 - 3GB per day.

How can I sync to my Google Drive without having to worry about things getting stored on my Hard drive? Any ideas to circumvent this at all?

You can use the Selective sync feature to choose which files you want stored locally: How to selectively sync Google Drive folders and files

@Gio, yes but without syncing it, I can’t access the folders. I want to have access to my Google Drive inside Windows where insync operates as some sort of ehh ‘translator’.

Working in the cloud from a desktop environment kind of an idea.

@gio: +1 to @Ferione request.
There should be a way to add to Insync some FUSE driver or WebDAV to map the Drive content into a folder.

Actually I’m using this under Linux (works flawessly): Google Drive OcamlFuse: https://github.com/astrada/google-drive-ocamlfuse

I know that Insync is programmed with a different language that ocaml, but may be you can get some ideas from that repo.
I think that you should reconsider the inclusion of this feature.

Originally (3 or 4 yeras ago) “unlimited storage” was a myth.
Now Cloud (unlimited) storage are very cheap and ours drives always will have a limit.

Thank you for the back up on this one haha!

To me, it does not make any sense to ‘sync’ if it would eat up Drive and Desktop Harddrive at the same time. That sounds double. It would be incredibly awesome if the Google Drive can become my harddrive of the pc with ‘cloud capabilities’ connected to it haha.

This is actually the reason why I bought Insync in the first place. Only to find out this was not the case. @gio, please give this feature a chance. It will be a major USP for Insync for sure!

thanks for your insights @Ferione and @esturniolo! Sounds like you’re talking about virtual syncing which is something we have in mind for 2.0 :slight_smile: We still have 1.4 and maybe 1.5 lined up

@gio, thanks for the heads up! Would be absolutely awesome if this can be done. What is your average ETA to push updates forward?

Thanks @gio.
There is a way to view the roadmap or it’s only for internal use?
Because as I said, the size average in ours “Clouds” increase day by day, so this feature is a “must” in this days.