Update: free Prime promo and upgrade paths

Just adding to the chorus of “what the heck is going on here?”.

I had no idea anything was happening until I received the clarification email, and I’ve started working my way backwards through email and forum searching.

I understand that I’m currently a Plus user and will eventually receive an email with a link to a free upgrade from Plus to Prime, so I should be able to continue using Insync without any additional payments.

However, I have no idea what on earth is the rationale behind this new Prime model from a user’s perspective. What benefit is there to me? What’s the difference between Plus and Prime? Can I choose to remain as a Plus user indefinitely?

2 Likes

Not sure what’s going on. Holiday promo email went to spam and only discovered today. Do we have to upgrade? Please sort things out and get back to us with clarity.

Bought plus in 2015 and using on linux. Software has been working perfectly.

Hi there. I also had my “Surprise” promo offer emails (on several accounts) all on the SPAM folder. Only checked them now after the follow up email and reading all about it here. So I had not the chance to get my offers. That’s totally unfair! It seems to have happened to many people, also.

Hmm… I have to say, I’m very confused, @terpua. I thought that when I paid for Insync in 2013 I was paying a one time fee, but now I am being asked to pay again for an upgrade to “Prime.” :disappointed:

Waaaaaaay back in 2011 I signed up to use Insync, primarily because of the cross-platform (Linux) support that you offered. Brilliant. In an email on 14 May 2012, you said:

Business model
We will make money the old fashion way by asking you to pay a one-time fee.

When the time came to pay that fee, I did so, in March 2013, signing up and paying for a “pro” account. Actually, I purchased a “pro” license for several of my Google Accounts - both Gmail and Google Apps accounts. At that time, you wrote:

Alongside 1.0, we are also announcing our introductory pricing:
Pro – 15 day free trial and $9.99 one-time per Google account after.

There was no talk about the use of Insync being limited to any specific version. The implication was that this was a one time fee for indefinite use of Insync–awesome!

Six months after I bought “Pro” accounts, on 22 October 2013, it was announced that my account had been transitioned to the new Insync Plus plan:

Hello.

Please be informed that Insync Pro plans purchased on or before October 13, 2013 were transitioned to the new Insync Plus plan.

Your syncing will not be affected and you will not be charged on this transition. You do not need to do anything on your part.

Introducing Insync Plus and the re-packaged Insync Pro plans

The new Insync Plus plan will sync one Google account for $10 one-time fee with free updates for Insync 1.x.

If you have multiple accounts, you can upgrade to Insync Pro for $10/year for the first three accounts ($5/year for each additional account) which comes with free updates to all Insync versions and a new Pro dashboard.

I didn’t get any option about this–it was done automatically without any action from me, as far as I can tell. This was the first time I can find that there was talk about my account now only being valid for a restricted amount of time (i.e. only valid for v1.x)

Eight days later, a subsequent email was sent out, on 30 October 2013, in which it was stated:

New plans

We are introducing a new Plus plan and a revised Pro plan.

The Plus plan is essentially the old Pro plan with one-time pricing of $10 per Google account. The revised Pro plan is now $10/year with built-in support for 3 Google accounts and includes a Pro dashboard.

Note that this did not mention that the “Plus” accounts were limited to being valid for v1.x only. Given that this email came out relatively soon after the 22 October announcement that my accounts had been transitioned automatically, it was very easy to over look the fact that there would be any kind of “version lifetime limitation” now being applied to my accounts, particularly as your email said: “The Plus plan is essentially the old Pro plan with one-time pricing of $10 per Google account”–well, that’s exactly the deal I had done six months earlier, so I didn’t pick up on any new limitation.

In 2015 Insync v1.2 was released, with a new UI–awesome–and an announcement that there would be a price increase. There was, in the 21 March 2015 email, no mention of a “version lifetime limitation” applying to any of the pricing plans.

It was very regrettable that the email you sent out on 22 December 2016 was filtered by Google into spam email folders, as this meant a lot of people, including me, missed this email. This was the first announcement of your new pricing plans, called “Prime”. This announcement would have been missed by many many people.

Then, of course, came the email today, which did not get filtered into spam, and was probably the first time most of your users heard about the new Prime pricing plan. The offer that you had made (in the “spam” email) has elapsed, and so it seems that people, like myself, who paid the one-time fee all those years ago, are now out of luck and will have to fork out unexpectedly for new account levels.

I think this could have been handled a lot better!

Unfortunately, you’ve caused a lot of confusion and uncertainty.

I think that what you are offering, at some stage in the future (once you’ve got it coded up) is:

1. the ability to upgrade from a “plus” account to a “prime” account, for an existing @gmail.com accounts. This ability will be a limited time offer (i.e. we’ll have to be quick to take advantage of this),and once this offer has passed, existing @gmail.com accounts can upgrade to “Prime” at a 30% discount

2. for existing Google App/G Suite accounts, there will be no free upgrade to “Prime”, but a 30% discount

I think it is totally understandable that Insync needs to secure revenue streams that allow your service (which, frankly, is superb, given Google’s dereliction of providing for Linux users, and their clients’ inability to support multiple accounts) to continue working. I think the vast majority of your users would be pretty devastated if you felt you were unable to continue operating your company. But, the announcement of the new “Prime” accounts has been pretty botched, considering the initial email was filtered as spam. My reading of the situation is that the “Prime” accounts will be valid for v1.x and v2.x of the Insync software, so the “upgrade” from Plus/Pro/Business accounts to “Prime” will pay for v2.x of Insync. If that is how things are, then I do think that could have been explained better.

I think, for people that signed up all that time ago when you spoke of a “one time fee”–that is, bought prior to the 22 October 2012 automatic transition to “Plus” accounts–there will be a little disgruntlement that actually we are being asked to pay again. (For those who signed up after the Plus “level” was created, they should have been aware that their account was only valid for v1.x). I probably will pay again–even for my G Suite account–even though I truly thought I had paid a “one time” fee; the functionality Insync provides is simply that good, and I want the service to continue. But the initial promise has been broken.

My personal concern is that I’ll miss the announcement of the new update page (and limited time offer), as there is now a history of your emails being sent to spam folders. I wonder if an announcement could be made “in app” as a desktop notification in addition to an email being sent out?

I’m sure you have a lot to deal with right now, so thanks for reading all the way through this message.

Yours,
Jon

6 Likes

Thank you so much Jon for taking the time to articulate in such detail what I’m sure a lot of users here are feeling as well, and for clearly laying out the chronology of the various InSync account models!

I hope @terpua can address this post succinctly and with clarity.

Since purchasing InSync for @gmail in 2011, I have received hundreds of emails about purchasing InSync again, and new updated pricing models I might like even though I’ve already made my one-off lifetime purchase.

Try and justify this blatant daylight theft as you want, all I know is I don’t have other software companies spamming my inbox asking me to repurchase the exact same thing over & over & over & over again.

Perhaps you can’t see how much of a joke this is from your perspective, since you work for InSync, but as a customer I pretty much view InSync as a group of scam artists that I’ve unfortunately funded and enabled to further scam more people.

At the end of the day, you offer a product that piggy-backs off of free or very cheap services from a major company that does not support InSync or even take note of its existence. Google can update its services and totally ruin your company support overnight. Based on this fact alone you can’t expect people to pay so much, and so often.

Reading the forums on your support page in relation to this pricing change is an embarrassment for your company.

I’ve actually paid for my GApps account twice in 2013. Once for the subscription, then again for the once-off payment model. The reason for this came purely down to confusion. I also note that my @gmail account (seperate) has been switched from a Plus to a Pro plan, and is now expired? What is going on?!?!

So far what I’m seeing is you want another $29.99 from me for my @gmail domain and I’ll maybe get a free upgrade for my GApps account. Maybe. The fact I have to pay again for my @gmail which was supposedly a once off purchase does not fill me with confidence. So another year from now I’ll have to pay for Super Prime and everything you said and guaranteed about Prime will be thrown out the window, like Pro & Plus?

I’ve already moved over to alternative products such as ExpanDrive and am in the process of uninstalling InSync from all my machines, regardless of the outcome of this situation.

You’ve been caught red handed price gouging over & over & over, how can you be trusted with a place on my computers and networks, and with access to my Google accounts? I am also going in to security settings and removing InSync access from all my accounts.

The fact that you need to fund a Happiness Ambassador instead of updating your program speaks volumes of your attitude towards your customers, and quite possibly their general feelings towards your company.

Kudos to the coders, it’s an excellent piece of software. It’s always sad to see companies where the greedy marketing team has control, not the people whose code & program the entire situation exists because of. InSync is dying because of greed.

Goodbye InSync, I do not care what happens to your untrustworthy company from here.

EDIT: This was my email to InSync. As Janine the Happiness Ambassador requested, I am sharing this with the community.
“Since this concerns the Insync community, I ask that you respond within the forums so questions and replies are shared.”

1 Like

Wow, this thread is a PR nightmare.

1 Like

When will I get the free upgrade to Prime from Plus (since you gave still unregistered users a free prime)? There is nothing else to be worried about.

This is a big mistake! I have been a customer since 2014 and you are disrespecting my commitment to continue using your product. From the comments above, I can see that I am not alone. You guys really shot yourselves in the foot on this one. I will seek other alternatives as will many others. EDIT: Very foolish move…

I’m really trying, but what is the benefit of changing from Plus to Prime?

Greg

Hello all…am working on a post that hopefully clarifies all of this but want to say one thing first: you DO NOT have to upgrade and Insync will continue to work!

Jon, appreciate your thoughtful response and breaking down all our Insync pricing plans.

What you think will happen is actually what is going to happen:

• @gmail will get free upgrade to Prime (from Plus, Pro, Business) for a limited time
  • @gapps/3rd party will get a 30% discount

But a clarification, Prime will cover not only v2.x but v3.x, etc.

It was quite unfortunate that the 1st email was missed and the 2nd email was being read out of context :frowning: Of course, I had no way of knowing that the 1st email was going to predominantly end up in spam.

We are working on a way to have in-app chats/announcements for 2.x but not sure if it will make it to 2.0.

Note: for those that bought before October 22, 2013, send email to support@insynchq.com after upgrading to Prime for a refund.

2 Likes

I, for one, would like to second what a number of people have mentioned here in that the email directing me to this post was the first I received.

Secondly: I’m just finding out that I could’ve been eligible for an educational discount for the two purchases I made this (last?.. 2016) year? Where the heck was that advertised!?

Thirdly: This is so confusing.
If I have a personal gmail account and also a second account I was using for a educational institute, will both be upgraded for free?
If not, what’s stopping me creating a new @gmail account, getting my licence transferred, and then getting the free upgrade and transferring back?

I needed to transfer my second licence transferred anyway, and was holding off until I knew my new job situation. I’m going to transfer it now instead of waiting so I’m not screwed out of money for a product I already paid for.

Woah! WTF? I just paid for this in July and now you want me to pay again??

1 Like

Where is the upgrade page?

Hi @terpua, and all reading this thread.

By adding your “Note” at the end of your response to me–for which I thank you–you have shown that you do indeed want to look after your existing customers, so many thanks for that!

I am more than happy with what you’ve written, and I love your product. I don’t want to be without it, so want to ensure the company is around to keep it going!!

All the best,
Jon

4 Likes

Best explanation yet in all this confusion. Thanks for clearing things up, Jon! If I were @terpua or @jaduenas, I would pin this at the top of the thread.

I will add my .02 € : InSync is a great product that does its job. I’ve come to almost forget about it, which is how I like a sync job to work. If I have to pay a yearly (reasonable) fee, so be it. Just clear up the confusion please.

1 Like

That’s exactly the same position we are in. Come on Insync - let’s see this cleared up, you’ve made a very big mistake here

terpua
You appear to have made a huge mistake here and many of us are trying understand what the hell is going on. We have an account with you - I don’t know what sort it, all I know is that we pay you every year without fail and have never had a problem. I have checked my spam and incoming emails and have not had any email about Prime or anything else. What you need to do is simple:

1. By email tell each of your customers how to work out what sort of account they already have
  2. The tell us what options there are for an upgrade with links in the email to those options
  3. Tell us what the benefit of the upgrade is
  4. Let us decide what we will do

Also what happens if we do nothing at all?? Do you close us down? Do we get a different service etc etc

Come on Insync - get with it and stop stuffing up a great product with confusing messages.

Cheers
A very happy user up until now

Hi,

I appreciate the sentiment and spirit of a holiday season promo. Thank you!
Unfortunately, MOST gmail users (who this promo appears to be intended for) saw the promo email filtered to their spam folder, or more accurately, didn’t see.
I only knew about the promo because I read the later email from Janine.
Is there any way you can extend the promo for the people that missed it?
Curious what percentage of paying customers took advantage of the promo.
I can’t imagine it was that high…?

Thanks!
-kevin