Bandwith limiting when uploading

cheap cheap excuses but since f… 5 years you didnt added the core feature bandwidth limiting for insynchq itself.

5 YEARS GOD DAMNIT!

you even wrote that you rewrote the core for v3. well, IF you did that then wtf you didnt implement bandwidth control/limits too?! again, you had FIVE YEARS!!!

China builds a damn specialized hospital in under a week and you need 5 years AND COUNTING to provide a feature which is even provided by google themself, which you said you beat in features and performance. well, so far you didnt.

right now i have to QUIT INSYNC in order to get my upload bandwidth back so my family can watch tv etc etc. OR we , the paying customers, have to buy more software to fix the problems you did cause.

sorry, but the performance of your dev team and project owner for the last 5 years was more than poor.

Hi @Simon_Lange,

I understand your frustration and my apologies for the trouble. When we released Insync 3 out of beta, there was quite a significant number of issues reported. Given this, our team needed to refocus our priorities to fix the syncing issues before we can release additional features. We want our users to have a smoother syncing experience so it would be easier for our team to release features such as bandwidth control.

My trial period of Insync is almost up and despite it doing what I need for the most part, the lack of bandwidth limiting will be the reason I won’t purchase it.

The uploads are constantly at max which congests the network and has also turned out to be the cause of all my constant dropouts. It can’t run nicely in the background without affecting everything, not to mention that despite being at max upload speed, it seems to take a while getting through the queues anyway.

I would say I’d maybe come and try it another time, but I see it has been years and years of people requesting this very basic feature and it’s still not implemented. It’s a shame as it’s otherwise a decent enough program.

Not to excuse the lack of bandwidth control in insync, which like torrent clients should have bandwidth limits preferably with scheduling ability, and simultaneous file upload limits. Account prioritization would be great too.

But there are a few third party apps that allow you to manage bandwidth of programs on your computer. Below are for windows. Linux apps exist too.

The only free one I know of is http://www.tmeter.ru/en/ from what I read it can be difficult to configure so you probably want to read some tutorials.

Paid apps include https://netbalancer.com/ and the less expensive https://www.netlimiter.com/ which is probably worth the $20 if you have limited bandwidth.

I had actually tried Tmeter as it’s really the only free program now and it was very finicky to say the least. It also didn’t play well with my antivirus on startup each time. I’m sure I could have gotten it to work but I didn’t like the idea of needing yet another program running layered between my connection just for the sake of being able to use Insync in a way that didn’t mess up my entire network speeds.

I used NetLimiter years ago and it was the first program that came to mind. It would work well as you can just easily set the limits. However, why pay $20 for a third party program for a the very feature that should already be a part of Insync? We are literally just buying a third party program to then justify buying Insync.

Maybe if I needed to limit several programs, but I don’t. I have unlimited data and high speeds and literally only need to limit Insync because it runs at max and causes connection issues and dropouts for some reason. No other program has ever done that, but sure enough, turn off Insync and everything works fine. It really doesn’t make sense to buy a third party program so I can then buy Insync just to get it to work in a way that doesn’t interfere with everything else.

I appreciate the response, but honestly, it’s been five years and it’s a basic feature. It’s easier to stop using the program causing the issues and use one of the many alternatives that already exist.

It can’t be so hard to implement it

Hi, I’am a new customer
I need bandwidth limit settings fon insync

2 Likes

+1 for that feature request

+1 for the feature request.

I have used “Trickle” to manage this in the past, but I no longer do so because changing the rate limit requires restarting Insync, and that causes many hours of waiting for scanning to complete (I have 1million files synced, 4.3TB). Being able to change this within the settings on the fly when someone in my household or myself needs to start a Zoom meeting would be great.

3 Likes

Please add bandwidth control, you can’t deploy it to company network or simply at home without it because Insync will take upload in full speed and congest everything else, and after a few moment will causing wifi to hang or restart.

Uhhhh if near-team means 27+ months then your roadmap really needs a sort.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts @irvin and for bumping this forums thread. We are adapting a new process to be more effective + efficient in how we construct our product roadmap, and that includes how we consider feature requests among bug fixes that are lined up.

I appreciate this feedback!

1 Like

I’m a new user of InSync but I see it lack basic features as the requested bandwidth control.
I’m using also trickle but, thanks to your post, I just realize that it need restart of InSync.
And I don’t see an easy easy way to restart the app unless I kill it and restart again. The quit in top bar menu’ does nothing for me. I’m in Ubuntu 21.04

Any news on this feature?
Seems like a pretty basic feature, would love to see it implemented!

1 Like

Hey @clemwo! Thanks for bumping this thread. It seems to be getting more traffic in the last few weeks; let me bring it up again with our Product Team for review!

Pretty amazing you don’t have this, it’s the only download/upload tool I have which is missing something so basic as limiting maximum bandwidth. I agree a scheduled version would be great, and even “advanced” things like other software has such as increasing bandwidth while computer is not in use… but to start with just the basic limits would go a long way to adding a core component of what any online tool should have.

1 Like

Such a basic thing and it’s missing. You copy over few large files to your Google drive and it gobbles up your entire upload bandwidth. It’s so bad that you can barely even use browser.

And to add insult to the injury, you press “Pause app”, but it happily keeps uploading.

2 Likes

Hey @Zlondrej!

Thank you for adding your +1 to this feature and for sharing your pain points at the moment. I have notified our Product Team that this is getting more traffic and that we must revisit the importance of having bandwidth limiting/control.

It’s interesting that you mentioned that Insync still kept uploading after hitting pause. It definitely should not be the case. Do you mind if we investigate that further? You may send your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post. Please do include the name of the file/directory that kept uploading so we can trace it accordingly.

Thank you!

1 Like

I just signed up to vote for this feature. It’s been seven years already…

2 Likes

This is appalling. Did I buy a cloud sync product for Linux without a network bandwidth limit feature? Need this feature ASAP, it seems to be a pretty basic one.