New Insync version: 3.0.23

Correct, there is no setting called ‘items created in…’ that was a link to a screenshot showing the ‘Sync new top-level cloud…’ which actually appears to have moved in 3.0.23 to the settings icon next to ‘My Drive’

So it sounds like only items created in folders with a yellow check mark are not automatically downloaded locally by insync. This is pretty much the exact issue we had in windows which appears to have been fixed.

I asked about yellow checks in another thread:

The only way to change yellow icons to green is to unsync and then resync the item. I just tested and found that when I do so, the items are downloaded from the cloud (not uploaded to) and marked with green icon. The simplest way to change all items from yellow to green is to remove the account and re-add it as new so insync uploads/downloads files instead of doing the ‘local-to-cloud file matching’.

My observations based on user experience and various topics here, is that ‘local-to-cloud file matching’ (yellow icons) is not working correctly and leads to many problems including various sync errors (see Error AddCloudGDItemL(‘Unsupported file type:%r’, ‘?’)), most of which are solved by doing a full fresh sync.

@kyle Thanks for explanation. Well, I abhor fixing things in “traditional Windows” way (delete and reinstall), and I certainly hope I won’t need doing that after each upgrade.

Since I use file system level encryption with Google Drive (encfs and the like), there always will be plenty of “Unsupported file type” entities.

@kyle Do you have any explanation why syncing of sub-items will not work reliably? No yellow icons and not about new root folders… it happens with any content in sub-folders.

Re-syncing everything has no effect. The problem persists. I am affected since before 1.5.7 and was hoping that 3.x was any better. Sadly still the same issue.

Unfortunately, I’m not able to answer that. I’ve been using insync on multiple windows 7 and 10 machines for at least 3 years now with 6 free personal gdrives and one teams. insync 1.x worked pretty much flawlessly. I didn’t experience syncing issues until “upgrading” to 3.x. It has been rough to say the least but it seems to be functioning properly at the moment.

Can you provide more details regarding the installation? Which operating systems experience the issue, google cloud type (business, teams, personal), file types that fail to sync properly. Is your problem that items created locally get pushed to the cloud, but other machines aren’t automatically downloading the cloud files locally? Or is it that items created locally don’t get pushed to the cloud? Does this happen when renaming or changing existing files as well?

When you say “re-syncing” do you mean you manually unsynced and resynced or do you mean you removed the account and re-added as a new account rather than an exisitng account so it bypasses the 'local-to-cloud file matching’ entirely.

Might be better to start your own thread to discuss in more detail.

Thank you for taking your time writing that out.

Some more specific details:

• I am using Ubuntu systems (several notebooks and desktops)
  • this bug is accompanying me since before 1.5.7 up to 3.0.23 since at least Ubuntu 18.10 (or 18.04) up to 19.04 and 19.10
  • I am using two G-Suite accounts (one private / free tier and one business G-Suite)
  • the problem is noticable on my business G-Suite account mainly with Team Shares
  • I do not use my private drive very much and I can not say much about my private Business share as I do not store much data there either
  • It’s happening definitely on Team Shares, funnily with files & folders I have created on e.g. my work PC and then my home PC does not sync the files down
  • the files are definitely available online and when opening the Insync GUI app and manually opening the affected sub-folder the app suddenly seems to re-fetch the folder/file info and starts syncing the missing data
  • it just does not automatically detect file/folder changes automatically which is quite annoying when looking e.g. through folders where we store customer files and you never can be sure if everything is in the folder or not when handling e.g. customer support requests - always have to manually check the folder online in parallel just to make sure I have all info available
  • when saying re-syncing I meant multiple strategies: using different Insync versions, removing and re-adding an account completely, removing selective sync on certain folders and then re-checking it later

I have reported the issues since last autumn in the forums and directly and received some first level support canned responses. Even though other users also report the issue in the 3.0.x beta threads on the forum the devs are painfully silent about this. I’ll wait a few versions longer and see if any Insync is addressing these comments at all.

Thanks for this extensive writeup. Great info here. I dug through the forum and found your previous threads going back to January. Posting links here in:

This should be a priority.

I have checked other Insync installations, using 3.0.23 (on Ubuntu).

Total removal (app, its settings, synced folder) and re-installation and re-sync on all devices seem to help. So far, no “yellow checks” and new files seem to propagate normally.

Thanks. I hope I won’t have to repeat total re-sync every app upgrade - it’s both time- and traffic-consuming.

Hello,

Just a quick report: I have upgraded from 3.0.22 and everything seems to be working well. The new features are interesting, thanks.

I’m using Xubuntu 16.04.5.

The only downside is that I still can’t install the insync-thunar package because of some conflict, but it’s not that important for me. The console output is below:

$ sudo apt-get install insync-thunar
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 insync-thunar : Depends: thunarx-python but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

The thunar-insync plugin for insync3 does not work at all so far … :frowning_face:
I am trying to escalate this problem, but the insync developers internal priority is obviously very low, so … !!!

3.0.23.40579-buster (Debian)

Not sure why the mandatory folder “Google Drive” is needed, i should be able to use any folder for syncing Google Drive…

I don’t think it is needed. I sync to a differently named folder. I remember being able to choose one at first installation and then the upgrades of Insync just picked it up. Can’t remember the exact steps, but it’s definitely possible. This on Linux Mint, various versions and Insync 1.5.7 and 3.0.2x (and back to 1.5.7, unfortunately).

Running Xubuntu 18.04 LTS. Kernel: 4.15.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Insync 3.0.23.40579 installed along with insync-thunar.

Two BIG problems:
1- No contextual menu support for insync in thunar.
2- Syncing across computers is BROKEN. Icons are showing folders are NOT synced when they actually are. See Employment folder:
EmploymentFolder_2019-11-07_08-17-53

And, files added on one computer are NOT being automatically synced with the other computer. See Employee folder:
EmployeeFolder_2019-11-07_08-20-00
If I want the files to sync on the second computer, I need to manually click on the sync icon/button for that file.

Previously, all files and folders inside the top level sync folder would sync between computers automatically.

This problem is a dealbreaker, as I need files to sync between computers automatically.

The first problem has existed since I first installed the 3 series of insync. The syncing problems seem to be new, as the earlier versions of series 3 seemed to restore automatic syncing after the first or second upgrade. In other words, automatic syncing has suddenly disappeared from series 3 with this latest version.

Here is what I see when I use insync start --no-daemon:

$ insync start --no-daemon

(insync:16172): dbind-WARNING : 08:42:17.140: Couldn’t register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
INFO 2019-11-07 08:42:19,282 [mainlogs:_log_run:92] Core(app_version=3.0.23.40579, platform=Linux-x86_64-ubuntu/18.04) initialized
WebEngineContext used before QtWebEngine::initialize() or OpenGL context creation failed.
WARNING 2019-11-07 08:42:19,414 [base_events:_run_once:1771] Executing <Task pending coro=<init() running at ideskcore/core.py:113> wait_for=<Task pending coro=<SettingsMain._load_settings() running at ideskcore/mainsettings.py:141> cb=[_log_tb_after_delay() at ideskasync/coreloop.py:302, <TaskWakeupMethWrapper object at 0x7f2c32dbb3d8>()] created at ideskcore/mainsettings.py:123> cb=[_log_tb_after_delay() at ideskasync/coreloop.py:302, _chain_future.._call_set_state() at asyncio/futures.py:355] created at asyncio/events.py:88> took 0.453 seconds
INFO 2019-11-07 08:42:21,272 [fswatcher:_start:38] LinuxFSWatcher._start
INFO 2019-11-07 08:42:21,273 [inotify_manager:_pull_loop:307] Inotify loop enter
INFO 2019-11-07 08:42:21,278 [fswatcher:watch:53] watch origin: /home/
/Team Drives/**
INFO 2019-11-07 08:42:21,279 [insync:start_core:44] core started
INFO 2019-11-07 08:42:21,280 [unix_socket_server:start:46] unix socket server thread start
INFO 2019-11-07 08:42:21,288 [fswatcher:watch:53] watch origin: /home//

Don’t know if it’s a feasible strategy for you, but I went round the first 3.0.2x release (20? 22?) spent time re-syncing (shouldn’t have happened)

Went back to 1.5.7 (with little syncing, thankfully).

Gave first 3.0.23.x a go and luckily realised before syncing gigs that it’s still broken.

Finally went back to 1.5.7.

Waiting for version Z to drop that will actually work. Following the forums here to judge if the problems have been largely fixed but judging from the recent experience will be on 1.5.7 for a very long time to come…

This is one of the most shoddy major version FUBARs in living memory.

The yellow check icons don’t mean that the folder isn’t synced. They simply mean that Insync completed local file to cloud matching without actual data transfer which is what happens in 3.x when you choose to upgrade an existing installation rather than adding an account as new. If it makes you feel better, you can manually unsync and resync everything to get green check icons. Alternatively you can remove the account and add it as new so items are retransferred.

The context menu functionality in 3.x is yet to implemented for any operating system.

If 1.5.7 works for you, then use it. Insync team has stated this week that the issue you’re having where files aren’t automatically synced from the cloud to local machines is because Insync team has literally not implemented that functionality in 3.x. It’s not a bug, it’s actually a missing core feature that they stated will be implemented in 3.0.25. No joke.

Insync team has stated this week that the issue you’re having where files aren’t automatically synced from the cloud to local machines is because Insync team has literally not implemented that functionality in 3.x. It’s not a bug, it’s actually a missing core feature that they stated will be implemented in 3.0.25. No joke.

Which means the current latest release is a joke.

If it can’t sync from cloud to local then what’s the point? When I create a file in the cloud (or other synced machine) I expect it to appear wherever the containing folder is synced.

Releasing Insync without this functionality is pointless, really. It’s not “rough around the edges” it’s incomplete. They should have delayed the release until all expected functionality is present. At least the core functionality that was already present in 1.5.7.

As it is, they wasted a lot of people’s time and lost a lot of goodwill in the process. A shame.

1 Like

How did you install isync-thunar package on Ubuntu 18.04 ??? There is always the following error message:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 insync-thunar : Depends: thunarx-python but it is not installable

bacause thunarx-python is not for Ubuntu 18.04 available.

1-SYNC PROBLEMS
So, the 3 series significantly changed syncing behavior from 1.5 series. That should have been better explained. I went through the materials that were available and actually delayed upgrading to 3 until I saw that initial kinks were worked out.

2-CONTEXT MENU
Your upgrade notice actually says that there is thunar intergration in the current version (see second to last bullet point).
Thunar_2019-11-08_08-27-00

And, I have thunarx-python installed.

Look, I understand a major re-write of software is difficult. Just explain what is happening with some transparency. I get it: the change in syncing behavior from 1.5 to 3 adds more control, but it needs to be better explained.

Hi. I’m on Prime license, and I’ve just noticed that I have access to team drives. But I haven’t bought a license for it… Does it mean good news for me, or a bug? :slight_smile:

Here is my write-up on how to FIX the changes to automatic syncing in v3 (sorry for not posting the explanation here, but I did not feel up to writing up the explanation twice):