Support for the Google "Team Drives"

So, do you have experience with Expandrive and Team Drives, Eric? I am starting to consider Drive File Stream a nice solution, as Insync most likely won’t offer a Team Drive response still in 2017. DFS has this tough limitation of one account at a time, so I need to login and logoff to switch Google Accounts (when different Team Drives do not share the same account in use). However, DFS is quite fast in syncing files/folders (a lot faster than Insync). I wonder if a next DFS version will support simultaneous account access… Anyway, I still can’t work seamlessly, but It’s getting manageable. I haven’t tried Expandrive yet, and I am beginning to get curious about it.

Team Drive syncing is already in the works. It’s being tested internally before release :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Heads up: we are introducing a new feature called “Sync@” that allows you to sync Team Drive folders anywhere on your computer. So if you have a directory hierarchy that you can’t let go, you won’t have to :slight_smile:

You’ll also be able to sync to external drives, network drives/NAS, SD cards, etc.

5 Likes

Terribly curious and anxious about it!

1 Like

A Work plan? What does that mean? If I bought Prime, which is advertised as one time. Will there be more to pay? Does this mean this feature will be behind a separate paywall? Is this also a one-time or is it going to be SAAS?

1 Like

We are introducing a Teams plan that includes Team Drives syncing as well as future advanced features. It will be a one-time price with paid upgrades if you’re on Prime.

Okay. Thanks for the clarification. Helps with planning.

I hope that there will be a way to access Team Drives syncing from an individual (paid) plan up front. There is no way I’m going to convince my colleagues to adopt Teams from Insync if I haven’t used it first myself. I am actually on Insync Pro, not Prime.

1 Like

Came here, anxious, to see when we can migrate some of our data to TeamDrive…

Now this: we had the original license as a one-time with upgrades, then we kind-of had to upgrade to Pro as a one-time including all updates, now there is Prime as a one time and soon we will have a new plan Team… again a one-time including updates and new features… until the next new plan ?! … don’t need an AI to see a pattern here.

My point ?

1. Insync is technically a fantastic product
  2. The licensing and upgrade/update policy not so much
  3. I need TeamDrive support for my accounts and TeamDrives, my ‘team mates’ (different for every TeamDrive I participate in) may or may not use InSync.

I for my part certainly do no longer recommend unless you need to synch multiple user accounts - which is still THE unique feature (everything else and more with the new DriveStream you can do with the tools from Google) - purely because of the licensing-plan-lying-to-customers issue, which - based on the post of @terpua - is going to continue…so sad.

In my over 30 years in business I have learned - and recommend to all my customers: honesty and transparency will always win (at least in the long run).

When will TeamDrive support be available? Is there a beta / early adopters program ? How much will we have to pay to use it ?

1 Like

Hello.

Pro plan was replaced by Prime and Business plan will be replaced by Teams. The differences in Prime + Teams plan are the features planned.

If you already have Prime, any updates/upgrades to that plan are inclusive and you won’t need to pay again. Ditto for Teams.

Teams plan will support all your Team Drives as well as your teammates :slight_smile:

Team Drives support is coming, along with a host of features. We are testing internally. There isn’t a beta program since it will be released soon (i.e. in a matter of weeks). The upgrade from Prime to Teams will be the price difference between the two, which will still be a one-time price.

Hope that clarifies it.

I am still on Plus. Will there be an upgrade credit to Teams or will it be full price? Also I’ve read your posts and its not clear whether Teams will be a good fit for an individual user in an organization using Google Drive and Teams (I am the only person who has adopted your product so far …) or whether Teams is really designed for and priced for SMB or Enterprise adoption. Maybe these questions are premature since you are pre-launch, but just thought they’d be helpful as you finalize the product. I’d still prefer your original plan to include support for Google Teams in 1.4!!!

1 Like

Yes, there will be upgrade credits for existing customers. Teams plan will work for either individuals or SMBs/Enterprise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well that was a new one… I was still on Pro (due to the total confusion in Prime upgrades - felt like a rip-off with multiple accounts and recently paid yearly fee) and now had an upcoming annual payment. I wanted to know if I should stay on Pro and get some benefits in the transition to Teams, or cancel. You seem to have helped me just now. In the email warning about upcoming payment there was a link called “If you don’t wish to renew…”. I guessed that it would go to a settings website, but when clicking I got the message “Success - Your subscription was successfully cancelled” when I clicked it. - Thrown out!?

So - now it seems I’m not a customer anymore. Let’s see how you will offer Teams for me as a new customer then…

As many have pointed out, your product performs well (except for keeping up with the google Teams transition), but your payment plans and changes in them are not satisfactory. You will loose out when someone comes along that does not try to cash in at our expense everytime there is a change in the service.

1 Like

With all the centralized permissions and file structure, our company has already started moving departments to Team Drive. I do realize it’s a slippery slope to provide release dates, but if Team Drive support is not likely to be released in the next couple weeks, we’ll be pushing our IT team to move some of the teams/departments back to the old structure. Do you have any updates on how close the Team Drive support is?

2 Likes

We are adding more than Team Drive support so testing takes a bit longer. We don’t share specific release dates but it’s in the works and coming soon.

So, I’ve been a quiet user for long while. Started as a plus user with 3 licenses and I just bought 4 prime licenses (~$100) today as we’re moving my startup over to GDrive and I like insync more than the native google client.

I’ve read through this thread and I have a couple questions:

1. Obviously, team drives is now immensely important and it seems you guys have been working on it for a few months now. What is your deadline for 1.4 release with teams built in? Feel free to email me if this is something you and your team would not like publicly released (colter@32waves.com).

2. Am I to gather, that in addition to the license cost I’ve already paid, that I’m going to have to spend more money to get team drives to work? If so, I may be a bit grumpy… It would seem that insync is targeted for business use, not for the average drive home user. In that regard, it would seem logical that having team functionality a part of your base subscription model would be inherent. Just my 2 cents.

Other than that, you guys look to be working hard and have a fantastic product. Thanks for all your hard work.

-Colt

1 Like

Thanks for your support :slight_smile:

1. We don’t announce deadlines publicly or privately outside of the company (for obvious reasons) but it really is coming. We should have a forums release within 2 weeks or so. Check back on the forums for the announcement.
  2. Yes, Team Drive sync support is available under a new unpublished Teams plan which will release as part of Insync 1.4. You only have to pay the difference between Prime and Teams pricing, one-time to get access.

:metal:

1 Like

I’ve been reading through this and it’s quite confusing with the new plans rolled out all the time.
As a Pro user who did not need to upgrade to Prime (not sure now what that was going to give me as benefits, as yet again communication is very confusing) and with currently 2 out of 3 Google accounts registred, what are my options to get TeamDrive support for at least one of them and how much will it cost me now?

2 Likes

It has been a long wait…

Any news on this? I am keen for Team Drive syncing too?

1 Like