Note: decided to create a new topic for purposes of clarity.
That was definitely not the way we planned on the free promo and new Prime pricing plan. I explained on my original post the cause of the original customer confusion. The 1st email (Subject: Season’s greetings + a surprise for you) going to spam and the 2nd email (Subject: Follow up to new Prime pricing and free promo) going to inbox added to much of the confusion as the narrative wasn't fully understood. To get a better understanding, I suggest reading the 1st + 2nd emails, the original post and then this.
Let me be clear about one thing at the outset: you DO NOT NEED to pay for Insync again. Prime is a new plan and EVERYONE has been grandfathered to their existing plans (Plus, Pro, Business) so you are not required to upgrade:
* Plus customers: you can continue to keep using Insync 1.x - OR - upgrade to Prime and receive all future updates (2.x, 3.x, etc.)
* Pro/Business customers: you can continue to stay on your plans and pay yearly - OR - upgrade to Prime at 30% off and pay one-time (either plan will give you all future updates)
To find what license you have, go here.
We will provide an upgrade page to Prime for all existing non-Prime customers (will send another email announcement when available) later this month:
* If you have an @gmail account, you can upgrade to Prime (from Plus, Pro or Business) for free for a limited time (we may change this and make it free forever)
* If you have a @gapp/3rd party account, you can upgrade to Prime (from Plus, Pro or Business) for 30% off
Again, you DO NOT have to upgrade. This is optional and Insync will continue working as is.
For those that do want to upgrade to Prime:
*For Plus, what you get different is "free version upgrades"
*For Pro and Business, a chance to migrate to a one-time payment model vs yearly that still covers "free version upgrades" and volume discounts
The reasons we released Prime and deprecated Plus, Pro and Business are:
1. Simplify: we have a simple product but complicated pricing plans
2. Future: looking ahead, the simplification makes life easier for future models
Frankly, it pains us to read some of the comments about price gouging and mistrust since we revolve product-related discussions around our customer. Without you, Insync as a business would not be possible. Why would we screw with that?
I can only apologize for the way we have communicated both the promo (holiday present) and the new pricing and can only promise to try to do better next time. But I am certain of one thing: we don't want to screw up our customer relationships! And hopefully this post brings clarity to our original intention and spirit.
If it doesn't and you need more clarity, post your question.
Happy new year!
P. S. -- For existing paid customers only as of December 20, 2016: those that missed out on the free Prime promo (due to spam), we have decided to extend it and will be available under a new "extended free" page when ready. It will be announced in either a separate email or alongside the availability of the upgrade page.