Context Menu on OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)

Now that El Capitan is GM, should we expect a release with context menus active for OS X 10.11? The main reason I’m asking is that we’d like to switch at release (we’ve seen significant performance increases with the beta) but without the context menu for InSync we’d be hamstrung.

No pressure - just interested in what the plan is for release. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hey @cfrazier, yeah, it’s on our list and since El Capitan is probably coming soon, we want to fix related issues at the latest within next month (and hopefully within a few weeks).

1 Like

@jimperio - Not just soon - in the next week! :smiley: We rely so heavily on InSync, we’ll actually hold back until it’s ready, but we’d sure love to have it in place sooner rather than later. Thanks for all the hard work!

The final release is here, and pretty much all of the software we use that had issues has been updated in the last 24 hours… except for InSync. Is the context menu fix being worked on?

I’ll add my vote that for the fix now that OSX 10.11 is here, we’ve all updated and would like our context menu back.

I agree. This has rendered InSync unusable for me.

1 Like

@cfrazier @Andre @Michael_Hyatt A new system policy (System Integrity Protection) in El Capitan has made Insync context menus and file icon overlays no longer work. We are currently working on making Insync compatible with SIP.

In the meantime, one thing you can try is to disable SIP.

1. Restart your Mac.
  2. Before OS X starts up, hold down Command-R and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. Release. This boots you into Recovery.
  3. From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
  4. At the prompt type exactly the following and then press Return: csrutil disable
    Terminal should display a message that SIP was disabled.
  5. From the  menu, select Restart.

You can re-enable SIP by following the above steps, but using csrutil enable instead.

We apologize for the inconvenience!

@jimperio, I can confirm that the context menu returns if SIP is turned off. Thanks for hunting down the issue and providing a work-around.

This reminds me of when Windows went from running users in administrator mode. :smile:

Hi all,

I am also interested by a quick solution. I was looking on hardlink solution but it is difficult for directories on a macos …

Thanks for your work and please keep us posted when a solution is out.

Any projection on the timing to release Insync context menu and file icon overlay compatibility with El Capitan ?

@Eugene_Cox We are currently testing a build internally, and plan to make it available for user testing soon! The release version should be available at the latest within the next two weeks.

I wanted to buy insync for this option, so now I wait until this bug is fixed.

Hi guys, El Capitan fix is here, please help us test :smile:

Just installed new version on macbook pro with el capitan. Context menu still not visible.

tagging our engineer @jimperio so he can respond to this :smile:

@carlolippens The “Add to Insync” context menu is still not available on 10.11, but the context menu for items already synced by Insync should be available. Could you try checking the context menu within the Insync folder?

Also, could you try relaunching Finder and checking again after that?

I relaunched finder several times, but still no solution.
I can’t see any context menu in the insync folder, I’m not sure what I option there should be (and how can I see them, ricght clicking doesn’t give any extra optiosn). Is it because these items were synced using a windows pc?
Looking forward to using insync so I can easily backup my files to gdrive.

@carlolippens Would you mind sending in the Insync logs to support@insynchq.com?

Could you also send in system logs? Open Console.app, then:

1. Click on “All Messages”, search for “Insync”, then copy the messages.
  2. Under “User Diagnostic Reports”, look for any files that may have “Insync” in the title and attach those files as well.

Thank you and we do hope to pinpoint and resolve your issue soon.

@carlolippens Could you also check under System Preferences -> Extensions -> Finder whether “Insync Finder Integration” shows up and is checked? Thank you!

The Finder context (right-click) menu shows up for me, but when I head over to System Preferences -> Extensions -> Finder Insync doesn’t show up (so it’s obviously not checked). I have SIP turned off…should I turn it back on for this newest release of Insync?

Another question. Some of the file types in my Finder show the sync status icon overlays, but other file types do not. Is that a glitch or is than intentional?

Thanks!